𝐈. EMOTIONS

CHAPTER ONEEMOTIONS

CHAPTER ONE
EMOTIONS

§ § §

"These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has, perhaps, faced no greater threat than it does today."

Rufus Scrimgeour faces his fellow colleges and all of the Daily Prophet reporters, his voice raised.

"But I say this! We, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry remains strong."

I set down the Daily Prophet, sparing a glance at the Muggle Family Murdered headline before looking away from it. The waves crashed noisily against the dark rock.

The sand seemed to reflect the sky. Once white and brilliant, it was now dark. The sky, once blue with a hint of clouds, now barely saw the sun. 

I understand why Tom Riddle liked the rocky cave he hid his locket in. There's something peaceful about the violent way the waves never seem to stop. Always coming in, always crashing. Always going back out, always retreating. I've spent all summer coming to this deserted beach spot. Sitting on top the rocks as the waves sprayed me.

And, every time, I was alone. Not forced into conversation. Not bothered by the presence of anyone else. Just me and my thoughts. Which, sometimes, I found, was worse than dealing with other people.

Yet, still, I stay alone. I find it hard to talk to people. Ever since Dumbledore, ever since... ever since that night. I have nothing to say anymore. Only speak when spoken to, and, at every other moment, battle with your thoughts.

The thoughts that I have been battling since I was fifteen. Only, now, at sixteen (on the brink of turning seventeen), they have grown stronger. These dark and awful thoughts and feelings that I can't control and don't understand.

I needed Harry. I used to go to Draco to stay grounded, but that's been ripped away from me. So, now, it's Harry. He keeps me sane, keeps me human. Reminds me of what we're fighting for. Reminds me of who died in order for us to live.

But, I haven't seen him since the end of term. And, therefore, it's been a bit difficult to remain loyal to this side of the war. Especially when there's something on the other side that's drawing you in... calling you... 

"Giovanna!" I turned around and saw Ron approaching. "Dinner's ready!" I nod and stood, taking one last look at the churning waters before retreating back to the Burrow.

Yes, something's calling me. But I'll do my best to ignore it, because if I don't, a lot of people could end up like my parents. And it would be my fault.

draco malfoy

I sat, terrified, next to my father, my mother on the other side of him. The Dark Lord sat at one head of the table, the other Death Eaters surrounding the rest of the long dining table.