Chapter 10

Emily

Everett made sure I was close to him when we decided to go inside... It was getting colder than before. He wrapped his coat protectively around me as we went to look for our friends.

I felt bad for leaving Bloom and Aaliyah with Evan, but when I saw them having fun. It made me feel so much better.

"You cheated." Bloom folded her arms and glared at Evan who threw his head back and laughed.

"I can't cheat in this game, can I?" Evan said.

We walked closer to the group and I noticed they were playing UNO. Of all the games, I didn't expect them to be playing that game at a party like this.

Bloom huffed and gulp down.. alcohol? She's drinking?

Aaliyah was sitting on the couch looking amused, with a male sitting beside her; whom I have never met before.

I sat down beside Aaliyah while Everett sat down beside me.

"Did she drink a lot?" I asked Aaliyah.

"That's her second shot." The guy beside her said. He have a handsome face, with olive skin tone and warm brown eyes and dark hair. He was wearing a T-shirt and jeans with Adidas shoes.

"I'm Darren." He introduced himself as he took out his hand for a handshake.

"Everett." Everett leaned over to shake his hand and I give him an odd look.

"I'm Emily." I said.

Some of them played another round of UNO and this time, Aaliyah decided to join them with Darren.

It was midnight already, but the party will still ongoing.

Everett tap his shoulder and said, "You can take a rest."

And I put my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes for a moment. I could still hear the screams coming from the group in front of us, could hear the loud music and conversation, but I was at ease at that moment. All my worries- family and friendship with Morgan and London seemed to be gone for a little while.

But this feeling won't last- my mind reminded and I opened my eyes and looked at Bloom and Aaliyah. Who would have thought our friendship will start during senior year? Who would have thought the boy sitting beside me was the reason why my world is different now.

I sat up straight and he looked at me like he was studying me.

"What happened?" He asked.

"I'm sleepy." I said to him. It was a half-truth.

He stood up and whispered something in Evan's ears and he nodded his head. He said something to Bloom and Aaliyah and they give him a thumbs up and looked at me.

"We will be fine. Go home with Everett." Bloom said. Her face was flushed and she have a wide smile on her face. I was worried for her, worried she will get more drunk.

"How will you guys go home? You two are drunk." I said, suddenly alarmed.

"I'm here." Evan said. "I will take them home."

"You're drinking, it's not safe to drive."

"Who said I'm driving?" He asked. "I don't drink and drive."

"We will be fine." Aaliyah assured me. "Thank you for coming with us, tonight. It was fun." She giggled and I couldn't help but smile.

We said goodbye before Everett and I walked out of the house to the driveway that was filled with parked cars.

I put my head on the glass window and closed my eyes. The seat was warm and so was his car. It smelled wonderful in here and I think I'm about to fall asleep soon.

"Em." I heard Everett's voice. "We're here."

I opened my eyes and looked at my surrounding. I was still in his car and we were at my place.

"Thanks Everett." I said feeling grateful. "Have a good night." I took off my seat-belts.

"What are you doing tomorrow?" He asked.

"No plans? Maybe studying?"

"Would you like to watch a movie together?" He rubbed his neck awkwardly and I looked at him.

"As a friend or as a date?" I asked him.

"I would prefer the latter, but if it makes you uncomfortable-then the first."

"Don't you have a girlfriend?" I asked him.

"I'm single." He said suddenly all uncomfortable.

"Then what about that cheerleader?" I asked.

"About that.." he started nervously.

"Sure. What time?" I said interrupting him. He give me his infamous dimple smile.

"I will pick you up around two-thirty?"

"Okay." I said with a smile. "Have a good night, Everett."

"Goodnight, Em." He said.

I unlocked the door and waved him goodbye before going in.

"Honey, is that you?" Mom comes down from the stairs.

"Yes, mom." I said as I took off my shoes and put it on the shoe closet.

"You're home early." She said.

"Should I have stayed a little more late?" I smiled and she laughed.

I like seeing her laugh. She doesn't laugh often.

"Teenagers usually stay up later than midnight, but I'm glad you're responsible and decided to come home." She said.

"Did I disturb you?"

"I was just about to go to bed." She said. "I have shift at two pm tomorrow. Should we get some brunch together before that?"

"I would love that." I said suddenly thrilled. We don't make plans like these anymore. The last was when I was twelve or thirteen.

"You can catch up on your sleep. We can go around ten." She smiled and I grinned.

I took a quick shower before heading to bed. And that night, instead of a bad dream. I had a better and good dream. I dreamt of a certain boy with grey eyes and cute dimples.