Chapter 51

Emily

Grayson came in the morning and honestly I was not expecting that. He wanted to drop me off for my music class.

Dad was surprised too, by how forthcoming Grayson is being. It's like Grayson was behaving like he's my Dad, which he is, but it's like he's taking away my Dad's role.

Dad used to drop me off to classes when I was younger, until I was old enough to go by myself. I was very proud when I was able to go for classes by myself. Dad didn't have to worry about waking up early to drop me off.

Neither have to work around his schedule just to pick and drop me off to places. I like the independency.

Mom was still fast asleep as she came home late from work last night.

Grayson owns a fancy mustang. It reminded me of Everett. He would love to see this car, although he have two of his own. Everett secretly loves car, but doesn't want to admit it.

His car was warm when I entered.

I don't know if he's forcing himself to all of this or genuinely wanted to part of my life.

"I was told you have violin class in the evening." He said.

"Yes." I said.

"Your mum..my ex-wife." He paused. "She used to play violin too." He smiled fondly. "She played violin in one of our town festival and I fell in love with her at that time."

"How was she like?" I asked.

"She's beautiful just like you, you look like her." He smiled, sadly. "She's very outspoken, say everything that's in her mouth, in other word, she's a total bada*s. Apologies for the slang. She used to get into fights with people, but for a good reason. She's a strong woman with bad tempered.

She was someone I could only dream of being with her. I was the school nerd, she was the popular bada*s, but things happened and we fell in love. I wanted to give her the world, but there was nothing much I could give her in that small town.

I asked Rayan, for some money one day. I wanted to do something big. I had big dreams and big hope for a better future for your mum for our family and our future family. I asked her to trust me, and she did.

I was scammed and I was ashamed to tell Rayan about his money. I went to the city myself to get back the money, and things changed. I got my money back. I invested my money and thank goodness, it worked out slowly. I had to return the money to Rayan. I was finally proud to return back to the town to tell them I made it.

But I heard everything, how people thought I was a scammer and ran to the city leaving my wife and family. I was hurt, I was more hurt Rayan thought the same thing and I heard about his struggled and all the awful thing his family had to go through because of me.

I was ashamed to meet them, I offered Rayan a job, a home and car and his money back through another person. I was too ashamed to meet him in the eyes.

I met my wife, and I realized how much I have hurt her. The light in her eyes was gone, her smile was gone and so was her optimistic and I realized things were not the same anymore.

She asked for divorce and I broke down. I went to the city hoping to give my family a better life, but it turned out the opposite. Your mum didn't even tell me about you. We only met with the lawyers to file for divorce, apart from that she didn't want to talk to me. She's a teacher in the town." He was quiet for sometime.

"When was the last time you met her?"

"I secretly went to see her without her knowing." He said. "A month back."

"Did she move on?" I asked quietly.

"It's selfish of me to say, but I'm glad she doesn't have any significant others in her life." He parked outside my academy.

"How did you find out about me?" I asked.

"We'll talk about this when I pick you up after class and we can go for lunch." He smiled.

And for the first time, I give him a genuine smile and not those awkward and forced smile.

Now, that I know some part of him. I feel bad for him. All he wanted was to give his family a better life, but things didn't go as he planned. Although, he's successful now. He lost his family.

My music teacher was so glad to see me after so long and for once I felt happy to be here. It's been a while since I played the piano and it felt nice and better.

I poured my heart as I played 'Indigo' by Yiruma.

My teacher clapped looking at me proudly once I finished playing and I smiled in embarrassment.

Everett texted me he was going to pick me up after violin class. He said, we can go to his place to get ready.

"My clothes is still at home."

"Don't worry, I've got you cover. I'll see you in the evening."

Grayson was waiting for me in the lobby.

"How was class?" He asked.

"It was good." I said to him.

"Hungry?" He asked as we made our way to his car and my stomach tumbled at that time and I flushed while he give me a small smile. "Let's get some burgers and fries."

"Tell me about you.. how did you find out you were adopted?"Grayson said.

"I found out when I was five or six? But Dad and mom didn't know about that. They thought I was sleeping and just couple of weeks back they thought they should let me know."

His eyes widened. "That must be difficult? Holding that thought for so many years."

"I didn't know how to bring that topic up and I was a kid at that time, the memory was haze and I was not sure if it was a dream or a reality."

"I found out about you last week when I met your Dad. All these years I was able to avoid meeting your dad, but last week. We accidentally met in the supermarket and we went out for a drink and then he mentioned about you."

I didn't know how to react though.

"I was upset that my wife didn't tell me about you, but I'm glad we're spending some quality time together." He said.

"Are things going to be different?" I asked the haunting questions.

"I can't promise that.. all I can say is things are going to go back to where it's suppose to be."

"And that is?"

"Rayan and I spoke about this the other day. He thinks you should stay with me as I'm suppose to be the rightful guardian for you."

"I'm turning eighteen the coming summer." I said.

"That doesn't matter, you're still my daughter." He said.

"We only met twice and spent few hours. I don't want to live with a stranger."

"I know.. I'm trying to get to know you and hope you'll understand my effort."

"What about mom? What about dad?" I asked.

"You can still see them, but now that I know you're my daughter- I know I have a heir to my company."

"What if it's a lie? What if I'm not your real daughter."

"I'm sorry to tell you. I did a background check and you're indeed my daughter." He said with a small smile.

"Do I get a choice who I want to stay with?" I asked.