Chapter 14

Emily

The food looked delicious, the music was loud and annoying, but people seemed to be enjoying and having fun. While my Dad and I sat quietly in the corner. He was eating while I was picking on my foods, my appetite was gone for the second time in a day.

"How's school?" He asked.

"Good." I said.

"Have you send in your applications, yet?"

"Not yet." I said.

His fork paused midway to his mouth as he looked at me.

"When are you planning to?" He shove the food in his mouth.

"Soon." I said.

"Good, because it's high time you start thinking about your future." He said. "The world is harsh and cold. You need to prepare for all the thunder and storms. It's not always colours and rainbows out there."

"I know." I said, quietly.

"You are not hungry?" He asked looking at my foods.

Not when you are talking like I'm a stranger. Maybe, I am and I feel like a burden to him, now that I know he's upset with me. He do regret adopting me. I heard that a couple of times when he argued with Mom.

"I will look for a job." I said to him and he raised one of his eyebrow.

"Did Mom asked you to?" He questioned.

"No." I said.

"You don't need a job, currently. I want you to focus on school and get into a good college. It's your last year in school, don't mess it up."

"I can find some job, just to gain experience."

"I want you to focus in your studies." He said coldly.

And I kept quiet after that.

After dinner, we drove back home. Mom have closing shifts, so she won't be home before midnight.

Dad walked to his room as soon as we reached home. I walked to my room dejectedly and shut the door behind me.

All I was hoping was a good dinner with Dad.

My back was to the door and I sank down to the floor and started crying.

I knew this was coming, but I didn't know it was coming like this. This week was rough- I lost my two friends whom I thought was the closest thing to family. I found out why my Dad doesn't like me, but on the positive sides. I have Bloom, I have Aaliyah and most of all I have Everett beside me.

They will leave you like all of them.. my mind said and I sobbed harder than before.

What felt like eternity, my phone vibrated and I see a text from Everett.

"Hey beautiful."

And I started crying more. He will hate me if he knows the truth. I hate myself after knowing how much my Dad must have grown through all these years. I hate myself knowing that my parents fought all the time, and it was all because of me.

And just like that, I cried myself to sleep that night.

The next morning, my head was throbbing and my eyes was swollen. I have to go for my piano class and after yesterday's talk with my Dad. I don't want to miss the classes.