Chapter 24

Emily

Everett got suspended for two weeks instead of a month because Evan admitted, that he provoked Everett, so he was given a less punishment.

Everett came over every single day, that I was at home. Dad was surprised to see Everett at our place in the beginning, but now he's over it.

I think Dad figured out who Evan had a fight with.

"I know, I promised to stay at home with you today, but my boss wanted me to pick up something from the office. I will pick that up and come back." Dad said. "Will you be fine staying with Everett?"

"Yes." I said.

"Can I trust you, Everett?" Dad asked.

"Yes, sir." Everett said.

Dad give him a pat and rushed out.

"What were you doing?" He asked.

"I was doing my online work." I said.

"Your what?" he asked.

"Make yourself feel comfortable. I will be working." I said to him.

He followed me to my room.. I sat near my study with my laptop while he picked a random book from my shelf and sat on my bed. His back resting on the bed-post and stretched his long leg on the bed.

"Should you be stressing yourself out with whatever online work you're doing and with homework?" he asked.

I turned to look at him, his eyes was on the book.

"I don't want to fall behind in school and I've just started working online. I can't be a lousy worker, can I?"

"You're at home for a reason." he said.

"I know, but I'm fine, now." I said as I turned back to do my work. I've been working after breakfast and its almost time for lunch. "What would you like to eat for lunch?"

"I'm fine with anything." he said.

"I can only make those instant mac and cheese. Is that fine with you?"

"I won't suggest you cook with the state you're  in. I will make us something."

"You know how to cook?" I asked turning around with enthusiasm.

"I can do many things." he said. "and cooking is one of them." he said proudly as he stood up from the bed and put the book back on the shelf.

"Can I watch you cook?" I asked.

"Don't you have work?" he asked.

"I've been working since eight in the morning." I said.

"I guess it's time for you to rest a little." he said and I grinned as I signed out and turned off the laptop and followed him, downstairs.

He looked for ingredients in the fridge and in the pantry. "Is shrimp pasta fine with you?" he asked.

"Absolutely. I don't complain when someone cooks for me." I give him a smile and he chuckled.

"Very kind of you, but I would appreciate some honest opinions so I could improve myself."

"No promises, but I will try." I said.

He definitely have experience when it comes to cooking. He walked around the kitchen gracefully and confidently. His cutting skills was professional.

"When did you learn to cook?" I asked him.

"I used to help my housekeeper, Mr. Harper in the kitchen when I was young."

"That must have been memorable." I said.

"Yea. It's better than hanging out with my brothers." he said as he strained the pasta.

"You don't like your brothers?" I asked, quietly. He stopped stirring the sauce for a moment.

"We don't get along." he continued stirring the white sauce. "They are way older than me. The oldest one is twenty eight and the other is twenty-five."

"The age gap is the problem.."

He didn't say anything. "Tell me about yourself?"

"What about me?" I asked.

"How does it feel like to be the only child?" he asked and I didn't know how to answer that question.

"It's lonely." I said, quietly.

"I feel lonely even though I have siblings." he shrugged.

"How's your parents like?" I asked.

I noticed he stiffened a bit. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to..."

He started plating the foods on the plate. "My mom left us for another man when I was four."

And I regretted asking that question. "I-I" he interrupted me and said,

"You don't have to feel sorry about it. It's not like it's your fault."

"I was going to say, I hope you're fine."

He paused what he was doing and looked at me with a look I couldn't point out.

"It would be a lie if I said, I was fine. I would have never expected anyone saying that to me, apart from the word, sorry."

"I hope you find happiness, Everett." I said.

"I hope so too, Em." he sighed and then he placed the plate in front of me. The plating was beautiful and the food smelled delicious. He joined me and sat down on the bar stool beside me.

He watched me take a bite and waited for my reactions. My eyes widened at the taste. It's perfect, the sauce was creamy, the pasta was chewy and the shrimp was perfectly cooked.

"This is so good." I said to him and he laughed.

"I can see that from your reaction." his eyes twinkled. "Eat up, I made quite a lot."

I grinned at him.

After lunch, he went back to reading the book he had picked earlier while I went back to do my assignments. Dad had returned a while back and came to check on us, Everett let him know, that he made some lunch for him as well and Dad was thankful.

"Hey Em." Everett said. "How's your parents like?" his voice sounded distant and thoughtful.

"What you mean?" I asked turning around. He was lying on the bed and his eyes was on the ceiling

"My Dad was always working and doesn't bother to check on his sons."

I turned around and looked at the window.

"They are nice." I said.

"I'm sure they are, but what do you guys do on holidays? long weekends? Do you guys go for vacation? beach? have family get-together?" he was throwing questions after questions and all these answer was a lot harder to say in-person rather than in the head.

"We don't do much." I said looking at him.

"Why?" he asked sitting up and I turned away from him.

"It's just that way." I said.

He was quiet for sometime and said,

"You know I'm here to listen and I promise I won't be judgemental and I won't even tell anyone about your secrets." he said. "I know, I've not been a good friend to you in the past, but you can trust me with your secrets and everything. I promise."

I turned to look at him and he had a serious look on his face.

"And I want you to know, I'm a good listener and your secrets will always be safe with me. I promise."