assholes//e.d - pt1

AN// i wanted to make it clear that i know gray would never never act like this- ever, and its just for the sake of the imagine. i know he would never do any of these things, sorry just wanted to make that clear. i love you all, and hope you like this one, even if its a bit sad :( (part 2 coming)

TRIGGER WARNING: alcohol abuse, smoking, domestic violence

(third person pov)

Ethan blew out some smoke as he sighed, bringing the cigarette to his lips again. He frowned. He was right across from a school- was he even allowed to smoke here?

He just shrugged and carried on as something caught his eye. It seemed to be recess or something, maybe lunch? He frowned as he watched a little girl kick at the fence he was across the road from, a scowl on her face. When she kicked it hard enough for her to fall back, he stepped on his cigarette, squishing it with his shoe.

He crossed the road and walked over, watching her get up and kick at the fence again. "Hey, hey," He frowned as he stood across from her. She looked up at him and he bent down as she stopped kicking the wire between them. "What're you doin'?"

She didnt reply as he grabbed the fence, to steady himself. He stayed crouched down as she crossed her feet, stumbling over them. "I'm not allowed to talk to strangers." He smiled, looking away.

"Right, huh?" He sighed, looking around at the yard behind her. "Well, instead of talking to me, and kicking the fence because you're gonna hurt yourself, why don't you go play with those kid-'"

"No-" She didnt look more than, maybe 7? "They're all assholes." E's eyebrows raised.

"Assholes, huh?" She nodded, arms crossed behind her back, still not looking at him properly. "Well, I'm an asshole too, so you're better off talking to them instead of me." She looked up at him and leaned in.

"They're all assholes," She said again. He pulled a face. "I bet you're not an asshole."

"Oh trust me," He said with a sigh. "So what makes them assholes?" She turned to make sure none of the lunch supervisors were watching her.

"They're pieces of shits," She said with a nod. He raised his eyebrows higher.

"Alright so- how old are you?" She held up six fingers and he frowned. "So where'd you, uh- learn these words?"

"I'm using appropriate adjectives," She said. He held back a grin and nodded. "And they're all annoy-" She paused to grab her stomach. He frowned as he heard a rumble. She let out a little giggle.

"Are you hungry?" Her face fell again and he frowned. "Is it lunchtime?"

"Yeah."

"What'd you have?" She sighed, crossing her arms.

"I told you- they're assholes." He frowned, now sitting on the sidewalk. He crossed his legs.

"What do they have to do with your lunch?" She huffed a breath.

"They pushed me and then it went everywhere," She whispered. He frowned. "All my carrots fell in the grass." Ethan stood back up.

"Do you think- are you allowed to go home for lunch?" He asked. She frowned.

"You gotta have a note- I think." He thought for a second. "Also your mom or dad or grandma or someone's gotta come get you."

"What about your uncle?" He asked with a smile. She frowned.

"I don't have an uncle." He smiled.

"What if I got you a note and was your uncle, would you allowed to go home for lunch?" She was confused. "Did lunch just start?" She nodded.