Chapter 14

Mina's POV

I couldn't believe I was walking right next to him. He was tall and handsome even up close. But the picture of Yoongi all beaten up was still engraved in my head making me uneasy. "So... Do you know what exactly happened to Yoongi?" I asked with my hands behind my back.

"I guess you don't know about his dad," his eyes seemed to drift off towards the ground.

I shook my head, "Ani."

"His dad is a bit on the... angry side." He pursed his lips together.

"Don't tell me Yoongi gets hurt like that a lot?"

"Ani. It's mostly his mom who gets hurt. Yoongi is the one who usually breaks up the fight. The protector I guess you could say.  But I guess this time Yoongi is the one who got caught up in it."

I felt pain in my hand from clenching it too much leaving indents in my palm. "Why don't they just leave him?"

"It's only been recently his dad has been acting this way. His mom has kept it a secret this entire time cause she believes things can get better. But my Halmeoni recently found out. She asks me to check up on them from time to time cause my Halmeoni went through something similar when she was younger. She says it usually doesn't get better. Whenever he acts up she offers for them to stay at her place."

He was really sweet for looking out for his family like that. My dad always said you should love a person not because of what they have and what they can give you but the heart they hold. A selfless heart. When we got there, we browsed the aisles looking for antibiotic creams, bandages, and reusable icepacks. "What are you doing?" Yeonjun asked me as I reached in the freezer.

I pulled out breaded fish ice cream that had red bean paste inside them, "They're his favorite." I turned to him smiling. "They're also my favorite too," I whispered. He smiled back letting out a laugh right after. His eyes curled up when he did that.

"Then I'm getting my favorite," he reached into the fridge and pulled out a mini pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I stuck my tongue out, "Mint chocolate chip is gross!"

He shook his head laughing, "No it's not!"

I nodded my head furiously, "Yes it is! Who wants to be eating ice cream that tastes like toothpaste?!" We both laughed loudly until the clerk of the store glanced at us, both of us trying to hold in our giggles.

Once our laughing settled, he started to stare at me with sweet eyes. "Mina," he spoke softly.

"Ya?" I said with my eyes focused on the stuff in the basket shuffling through all the things.

"Do you want to go watch a movie with me sometime?"

"Huh?!" I ended up dropping my jaw at his words.

Did-Did he just ask me out?

"L-Like a date?" I asked him.

"Uh. Ya," he nervously smiled at me. Before I could sort out my thoughts Ji Ah words came to my mind.

Isn't this what you wanted?

"Yes," I stuttered out, "I'd love to go on a date with you." He breathed out all his nervousness, his small frown morphing into a wide grin.

"How about next Friday?" I nodded in agreement. After paying we rushed back to his house to make sure the ice cream didn't melt. Once we got to the front door, I opened it and walked in but he didn't go inside. His eyes were fixed on his phone.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

He looked back at me, "Sorry I need to run an errand for my Halmoeni. Can you make sure Yoongi will go to my Halmeoni's by tonight? Who knows, his dad might come back," I nodded at him with an assuring smile.

I glanced down at my bag and shuffled through the boxes of band-aids and ointments before pulling out his pint of ice cream.

"Don't forget this," I said reaching out my arm towards him.

He took it from me and looked at the pint smiling, "I'll enjoy this well." He waved at me and walked off before I closed the door completely letting out a sigh.

I'm going on a date with Yeonjun. Like for real.

My thoughts became cloudy.

Am I crazy? Why does it feel weird? I should be jumping for joy right now swooning.

But I'm not.

I groaned throwing my head back and dragged my feet towards Yoongi's door. I knocked before entering his room to find him asleep in his bed. "Yoongiiiii. Wake up," I walked towards the side of his bed and sat next to him on the mattress.

His head sunk into his pillow and his shoulders were eaten up by the blue bed sheets. He looked so peaceful though his face still had bruises all over it. I sighed at the sight of him like this. My heart was heavy. It felt as if someone was choking me up in my throat. I pulled out the breaded fish ice cream packet and lightly pressed it against his face.

"What the-," his eyes opened at the touch of the cold "Mina?" He shifted to push off the comforter to sit up. "What's this?" he asked grabbing the packaged ice cream.

"Your favorite. Eat up," I said and tore my package open eating the head of the fish first.

He tore open the package and took a bite to which he gave a big gummy smile. "You're always so happy when you eat," I said laughing with ice cream in my mouth.

He smirked at my comment and took another bite of the fish, "What'd you get at the store?"

I stuffed the tail in my mouth and shuffled through the bag pulling stuff out of the bag one at a time, "Ointment. Band-aids. Ice packs."

He picked up the box of bandaids with his hand and scanned it noticing it was pokemon-themed, "Why'd you get these ones?"

I grabbed the box with my hand and held it in my arms "Cause they're cute," I whined. I got up from the bed and walked over to his bathroom to wet a small paper towel.

I came back and scooted closer to him pressing it against the cut on his cheek. "Ow," he winced at the pain.

"Sorry but I gotta do it either way," I said and pressed it gently again as he kept eating his ice cream. I applied ointment and put the bandaid over it, "All better."

I still noticed the bruises on him after I put the bandaid. My fingers brushed over them observing the shade of purple they were, "Does it still hurt?" He shook his head not saying a word.

"Yoongi, you have to go to your Halmeoni's place. You know that right?"

He looked away from me and plopped his head down back onto his pillow. "Yah," I shook his shoulder with my hand, "You know I'm right."

He sighed into the sleeve of his hoodie, "how am I supposed to face my mom like this? I'm the one who's supposed to protect her."

My heart clenched at the sound of his voice, slow and depressed. I crawled over his legs to the other side of the bed and laid my back right next to him on the mattress. "You're only human Yoongi," I spoke softly and rubbed his shoulder with my hand, "I'm not leaving your side until you get your stuff and we walk over to your Halmeoni's place."

I could only see his back until he turned and laid his back flat on the mattress, "Fine."