Chapter 26

Mina's POV

"Would you like to come in?"

I observed her as she stood in the doorway, her arm holding the door open and her smile soft. I stayed standing outside the house and kept quiet. My chest kept tightening and it suddenly got harder for me to breathe. But I shifted my eyes to look towards the sea where I had just been and saw Yoongi with his head down. And then I remembered his words.

"Only if you're there by my side."

"Always," he said.

"I'll be right back," I whispered to her before running over to him. He was startled at my presence and I noticed his eyes were red. "What are you doing here?" he asked as I grabbed his arm.

"We promised to stay by each other's side always. Didn't we?" I grinned at him. I yanked him by his arm and we both started running back to the house. I knew that with him by my side I could get through whatever was gonna happen next.

We walked inside the house only to be instantly hit with a sweet smell. Yoongi looked to me, both of us nervous and curious.

My mom closed the door behind us and motioned for us to sit down in the living room on an old blue couch covered in fuzzy blankets. She left to go to the kitchen and I felt Yoongi's grip on my hand tighten.

"Hey are you okay?" he whispered to me. I turned to face him and gave a faint smile and a nod. His lips pursed together while his thumb wiped away the tears that had begun to form around my eyes.

"These are fresh from the oven," she came back holding a plate of yakgwa, korean honey cookies, "my husband just made them." I flinched at the words but calmed at the feeling of Yoongi's arm rubbing my shoulders.

She sat in the chair across from us and placed the plate in front of us. The silence was thickening and her eyes kept darting between me and Yoongi. She took a deep breath and rubbed her hands on her knees, "Mina... W-What brings you here?"

"I-uh..."

"Your father knows you're here right?" she asked me leaning over her crossed legs. I slowly nodded. I honestly didn't know what to say or ask or do. "Ahh. I see," she leaned back into the chair and relaxed, "so why exactly are you here?"

"I-uh..."

Spit it out Mina!

"I wanted to meet you."

She seemed taken back by my words and blinked a couple of times, "That's it? You wanted to meet me?" I tilted my head out of confusion before she began speaking again getting choked up between words, "I'd thought you'd never want to meet me. Your father never responded to the letters so I always thought you wanted me out of your lives considering what happened in the past. In all honesty, I'd thought you had come here to kill me or something."

She let out a sigh of relief and sniffled, "You look just like your father."

I felt Yoongi's thumb brush my hand while our fingers became intertwined. It allowed me to relax before I started to speak, "I'm sorry about the window."

"Oh," she waved her hand, "don't worry about it. Everything's bound to break eventually."

I took a deep breath and spit it out, "I want to know everything."

"What's everything?"

"Why'd you leave me and dad? He wasn't very open in telling me anything about you. I kinda thought you were dead for most of my life." I saw Yoongi's shoulders tighten up and leg begin bouncing as he shifted his eyes toward the ceiling trying to stay out of the awkward conversation.