5. A stroke of luck

WARNING: Long chapter 

My first day at college was dope and I enjoyed it immediately; there were just a few people in my classes and they were very nice to me... and actually they made me feel absolutely welcomed and accepted so I finished my day with a lot of phone numbers from my classmates and other people in my personal phone book.

After college, Chris picked me up as he promised and we started to hunt for part-time jobs; luckily, I was able to find a small opportunity at the Henry Art Gallery which wasn't very far from school and then we ended up in a small café who's owner was a dear friend of Chris, and hired me as a barista.

Everything seemed perfect and easy, but I knew the reality was going to be a little bit harder and just a month later living in Seattle I quit the job at the gallery because my boss was an asshole that treated me like some kind of maid and I found myself working from Monday to Sunday at the cafeteria, where yes, I was hired as a barista but sometimes I just had to do the waitress part.

Also, I was trying not to go crazy because the debut performance of the new renamed band of Adrien with me as a singer was just around the corner; as a mere need of money I ended up accepting his offer and soon I met his (and later my) friends/bandmates, with whom fortunately had a great connection since the beginning and all together started to write new music, because honestly I didn't want us to be a band of covers, and the guys agreed easily.

The line-up was pretty simple as Adrien was the guitarist, Thomas "Tom" Sawyer was our bassist, Zachary "Zack" Horowitz in the drums and me as the lead singer, making this new band call themselves Spencer  a name that we took from Tom's great grandmother's maiden name; it was kinda hard for me to start singing again, I had my previous band until high school and I was nervous about my voice, but with a little bit of practice everything went smooth as always.

People always said I have a very distinctive and unique voice, and my piano teacher used to tell me that I had a strange gift because my vocal range was very wide and strong but of course, as insecure as sometimes I am, I never truly believed this and never really brag about it.

Certain rainy day after school, I was having a good day at the café, working while chatting with my new friend Stella, (who was a waitress there and also a student at the UW) when somebody asked for a double espresso as I turned around to the espresso machine, and then I heard the bell on the door rang, announcing a new costumer as I looked just to see a pitiful face go in with a cocky smile.

"Oh god you have to be kidding me" I whispered to myself turning around to continue with the espresso, but Stella could hear very clear.

"Do you know him? He's cute" She said.

"Please Stella can you take him? I really don't want to deal with him" I begged as I saw him by the reflection of the espresso machine, sitting in one of the tables.

"Well of course! That's what I was going to do" She accepted with a wide smile, it was obvious she was attracted to him and I laughed a little.

"Hi..." Stella greeted.

"Hi there... I would like a cappuccino please" He answered with a charming smile, while Stella wrote down in her notebook.

"Cappuccino please"

"Right away. Here you have the double espresso" I said, placing the coffee on the counter, without looking at them.

Stella took the coffee and disappeared, while I looked again to the espresso machine that was working for me as a mirror and I noticed the guy left his spot to come over and sit in the counter. I cursed him under my breath, rolled my eyes and took a deep breath, to then turn around with his cappuccino.