26. Heaven Tonight

Eddie and I told Andrea, Kelly and Alan about our idea of living together and the search of a house in California or maybe Seattle; firstly, they congratulated us and then they told us not to worry as they were going to check some properties with an specific staff with the characteristics we would like to have, and by the end of the year we could check on those houses, because our schedule was very tight at the moment to go around checking for houses.

However, this didn't mean that we were free to make our romance public, because we were still under pressure from our respective labels, which every time I thought about it, I find it more and more stupid; however, little did I know that thanks to a legal advice from Susan, the band could negotiate with MTV and when the Unplugged was premiered on May, it was the uncut version, which meant, they begun the concert with Oceans and the part where Eddie explains the song remained on it.

Next day everyone was talking about the clear message from Pearl Jam's frontman, Eddie Vedder  that finally confirmed some rumours related to a relationship with me. Luckily, when this happened, we were on tour in Europe while PJ was touring in the US, but we still had to cover some interviews, so the staff of both bands would talk with the producers and interviewers to avoid asking something related to our private life.

For a moment I thought this action was ok, because I didn't like that the press was involve in my private life; sure, now I was a high-profile figure, and that was part of the price I had to pay, but I was willing to protect my privacy at all costs.

Then, just when I thought everything was calm, MTV announced a theory about the events in the segment of MTV news; this, consisted in noticing the brown corduroy jacket Eddie was wearing the day of the Unplugged, and the same jacket that I wore on the SNL performance. Of course, nobody knew that I gifted it to Eddie so he could go everywhere with me on those months apart, after he gifted me a necklace with the same meaning, that was staying together in the distance.

I was impressed by the way they started to connect the dots, since I never paid much of attention to a piece of cloth and it seemed like something utterly stupid, but it had totally sense. Now I must say that by this period I was as famous as the fucking Madonna (blessed her heart) and the press wanted a piece of me always... something that I didn't sign for but... that's the way it is.

Spencer was bigger than the rest of the bands that were with us on the ride, although we never asked for this kind of fame; with all this I was feeling the pressure taking over me, but instead of returning to my past sleeping pills, I decided to transform all this frustration into poems that later became song lyrics.

Also, we would be reunited with some bands for the Lollapalooza festival but only until late-August, because our schedule was very busy, but, during a tiny break in the summer of the same year, the guys and I headed to the studio one more time, since I was very inspired by the events of the last months and the hounding of the media on me and my life.

This second album was going to be very different from the first one, and definitely the darkest album of our career; we recorded it in Abbey Road in a month, due to the dates in England we had at the moment, and then we flew to L.A. for the mixing.

The sound was raw and stronger than the previous one, changing a little on the topics. I was happy but also frustrated and feeling a little bit tired, so I basically wrote a mini opera about the price of the fame and the harassment from the press, but I also wrote about the benefits of it, the real friendship and of course about a mature and real love, always inspired by Eddie, but in a subtle way.

Certain day, around 9 am we were surprised by the dramatic arrival of Zack at home; we rented a house near the studio in Beverly Hills and we were taken aback by the sudden loud noise of glass breaking and falling. Immediately we thought it was somebody trying to break in, but when we went downstairs, we could see Zack covered in blood by an injure on his head.