19. Willing and Able

After the holidays, I returned to Seattle in January, and went back straight to the studio with the guys; the routine was pretty much the same as when we started in November and we were billed in some places to perform. Eddie and I still maintained our situation as a secret and fortunately by mid-January we ended the recording sessions; the mixing was going to be at the Strawberry Studios in the château d'Hérouville in France, so the band and I had to travel there by early February.

Mookie Blaylock had signed with Epic Records, and they would start to record their first album in March, with Rick Parashar at the London Bridge Studios; as we recorded with Rick for Temple of The Dog in November and part of December, the guys asked him to be his engineer as he accepted.

We were all busy with our respective music, but we would still have the chance to spend time together and supporting each other as the big family that we were. Adrien helped Stone and Jeff by writing some additional music for their album, as Mike and Eddie were basically providing their own talents and Dave was silently struggling with some health issues.

They asked me to participate with the piano in the track "Black" and I accepted as they informed me, I was going to appear as co-author for that song. We also had the recording for the music video for "Hunger Strike" in early march, but as I was going off to France with Spencer for the mixing, I told them they should record it without me; at first they refused the idea and told me they were going to wait for me, but I convinced them by telling them we didn't have much time left.

Certain day in late January Alan, our manager, gave me a message for an appointment with a man named Cameron Crowe, who I was aware was a movie director, but honestly I didn't know much about him.

We met at the café where I used to work part-time and he surprised me with his proposal, as I thought he might want to talk about a soundtrack for some upcoming film.

"I'm so glad you accepted, I thought it was going to be harder to reach you" He added and I laughed a little.

"It's not like I'm Madonna" I said joking, and making him laugh.

"So, I'll go straight to the point. I've seeing you and your band performing... and you are great" He added as I smiled shyly.

"T-thanks"

"I have the script for my next film that is going to start in March and I want you to participate in it" He added.

"Well that's amazing... What's the story about? To know the kind of music you'd like" I answered but his expression was different.

"I... I want you to play the female protagonist" He said and I opened my eyes in awe.

"What?"

"Yes... I think it's perfect. I know you have a strong temper but I think you're just perfect for the part and I kind of inspired in you for the character. The story is about friends living in Seattle and their complex romantic relationships. The protagonist is a coffee barista that is the girlfriend of an aspiring and kind of distant grunge singer"

"Wow... life imitates art... except for the distant part" I whispered to myself.

"What did you say?" Cameron asked, bringing me back to reality.

"Sorry I was... Look, the story sounds pretty cool, but I can't accept the part... sorry" I said and I saw disappointment in his eyes.

"Oh... well..."

"However...!" I said, as I had an epiphany.

"Yes...?"

"Do you already have the fictitious band of the douche grunge singer?"

"Uhmm... no... but Matt told me he was going to check some people from the music scene in Seattle. Actually, he was the one who suggested you, he likes Spencer" He said, smiling and I just blushed.

"Matt?"

"Matt Dillon" He said and my expression made him laugh.

"He's so cute..." I said, a little bit panicked and clearly blushed as he smiled again. "But anyways... I have the perfect guys for your band"

"Who are they?"

"There's this awesome band called Mookie Blaylock and they can help you with that"

"Can you give me their contact?"

"I'm gonna tell Kelly, their manager, and I guess they'll reach you... but I'll try to convince them"

"That's cool... thank you!"

"And... since I can't really take the part of the protagonist... I offered myself to take the photos on the set and the soundtrack... so... What do you say?"

"Well yes! To both things!" An excited Cameron answered and I was happy to see him changing his initial gloomy mood for something happier.

When the meeting ended, I went straight to the apartment, where I just found Jeff, Stone and Eddie, since Mike was out with Matt. I told them everything about my meeting with Cameron and the idea of them to be part of the fictitious band; contrary to what I thought, they seemed very excited with this idea and Stone was the one who called Cameron that same night to tell him they were in.

"I don't know if I wanna do this" Eddie said, as he visited me in my bedroom.

"Come on, it's gonna be fun... I'll take the photos and work in the music"

"But that's different" he said, as he played with my hair while I was resting in his chest.

I lifted my face to looked at him, and saw him smiling me back to me.

"Alright, I'll do it"

"That's what I'm talking about" I smiled as I hugged him.

"You know..." He said, sitting on the bed and making me do the same.

"What is it?"

"When you return from France, we should go for a weekend to the beach in San Diego... I know we're very busy with our things but... I'd like to go surfing with you"

"That sounds like a great plan...of course we'll go" I said smiling, to then kiss him.

Despite our tight schedule and our "secret" condition, Eddie and I always had a little bit of time for ourselves.

Three days later, Zack, Adrien, Tom and me flew to France, where we were sent to Hérouville, as the studios closed in 1985 but re-open by 1989 and our journey to finish the album began.