Chapter 29

The first seed had been planted when Lucy had answered Harry's phone.

It was now the third week in of their eight week tour across the country. I was managing alright, me and Harry were doing our best to FaceTime at least one day, and for now it was working.

Correction, it had been working.

It was around ten at night, and Harry had text me an hour previously to check if we were still okay to talk tonight.

I clicked on his name, and after three rings it said connecting. I was not prepared for it to open and reveal Lucy's face. She looked panicked, and shocked - but more noticeably, she looked guilty.

I barely had time to react before she hung up on me, and I was left staring at my face on the empty FaceTime screen.

I immediately pressed on his contact name again, willing for him to pick up and tell me it was a mistake, to reassure me that nothing was going on, but it went straight to answer. Every single time.

"FUCK!" I exhaled loudly, throwing my phone onto my bed in a fit of rage.

My yell had been loud enough to attract the attention of Freya, who ran in with Josh on the other end of the phone.

"Sophie? Are you alright? What's happened?" Freya asked worriedly, placing Josh upright on the table as she hopped next to me on my bed.

"Can you ask Josh if he's with Harry? Please?" I sniffed, wiping my nose on my sleeve.

Freya, still confused, nodded her head and whispered a string of words to Josh. After several seconds of the deafening silence, she turned back to me.

"Josh said he was going to head up for the night, so he went to his room early," she explained. I could tell she wanted to know what was going on, but I had to know where Lucy was too.

"Is Lucy with Josh? Can you ask where Lucy is?" I pleaded, the desperate tone in my voice now prominent.

"What's going on?" I heard Josh ask from the phone. I motioned for Freya to pass me the phone.

"Josh is Lucy with you? Can you tell me where she is and I promise I'll explain everything." I spoke quietly, praying with everything in me that she would be down with them, praying that somehow this would all be - explainable.

"She headed up to her room about half an hour ago, said something about schedules. Can you explain now?" He asked.

My face fell. The two of them had both gone upstairs, to their rooms. Yet Lucy had picked up Harry's phone, only to hang up at the sight of me.

Surely Harry wouldn't have - unless he would have.

"I was going to FaceTime Harry tonight, like he promised," I started, propping myself up against the headboard, "except that Lucy picked up the phone, only to hang up at the sight of me. And I swear on my life she looked guilty, Freya. I could tell. I could see it, and now the only rational explanation is that they -"

Freya reached an arm out and engulfed me in a hug. I heard her whisper to Josh that she'd talk to him later, before they hung up and she put her phone down.

"Don't assume the worst, Sophie. Harry loves you, so much." She whispered into my shoulder, yet it didn't stop the insecurities building up, the anxiety of being replaced, forgotten about circling around in my mind.

"Turn off your phone and go to sleep. I'll stay in your bed tonight, alright?" She said, stroking my hair and holding me as I silently cried into her chest.

I thought the next morning would be better. I thought I'd have an apology from Harry, explaining it all.

Instead I woke up to my phone, overpowered with notifications, largely from twitter.