Chapter 40

70k! you guys are amazing i love u ALL enjoy this chapter <3

I need to fix my sleeping schedule ASAP ohmygod - anyway enjoy! (what time are you reading this? I'm writing it at 3:43am oops)

"What was it you wanted to speak to me about?" Harry asked as he plopped onto my bed. We had just arrived back from our weekend - well, extended weekend, getaway.

Our bags still remained unpacked by the door of my room, our coats and shoes flung to the side.

I was nervously stood at the foot of my bed, my phone gripped tightly in my hand. I had no idea how I was going to tell Harry about the news. I also had no idea how he was going to react. His stare lingered, and his eyebrows furrowed as I continued to fidget around, my nerves getting the best of me.

"RecordX loved the song," I said quietly, so quietly he had to ask me to speak up.

"They did? That's amazing! I told you they'd love it!" He spoke, clapping his hands together in delight. However, once he caught sight of my face, his excitement ceased. "Why aren't you celebrating? This is great, right?"

"They offered me an initial four month contract...in Manchester." I said eventually, trying my hardest to not look at him now, because if I did, I was unsure of how I would react.

Silence. Radio silence. My gaze lingered on the floor, trying to distract myself from the unfolding situation. I couldn't put it off any longer, so I looked up.

Harry was absentmindedly looking straight past me, at the door behind me. He looked shut off, deep in thought.

"Harry, I-"

"Did you accept it? The deal? Have you accepted it?" He asked, still not meeting my eyes.

"Not yet."

"So you're going to?" He mumbled, finally looking at me. I nodded meekly. I felt miserable. Like I was directly causing him pain. Was I?

He looked at me expectantly. What was I even supposed to say? What did he want me to say?

"I leave next week," I spoke softly, coming over to perch on my side of the bed. He looked at me, thinking.

"Ask me."

"What? What are you on about?" I asked in exasperation, not having a clue what he was going on about.

"Ask me," he repeated, staring me down.

"Ask you what?"

"To go with you." He spoke, as if it was the easiest thing ever. I stared at him incredulously.

"Harry - I'm not going to ask you to come with me. You can't come with me!"

His face fell. "I can't or you don't want me there?"

I silently criticised my choice of words, kicking myself. "No! I mean - you've just bought yourself a new place, your life is in London, and this is only four months - admittedly it's kind of a long time but I'll be back and - I'm rambling, sorry," I corrected myself, guilty looking across at Harry, who looked borderline heartbroken. "Hey - if it's too hard I can just turn them down," I said quietly, regretting the words as soon as I had said them. I loved him, of course I loved him but this was my career we were talking about. Singing was my passion, it was what I wanted to do.

"No." He said pointedly, reaching out. for my hand.

Relief swept through me, and I tried to let out a subtle breath.