Chapter One

Damn these scratchy sheets

My first night away from my beloved thousand thread count Egyptian cotton sheets at my apartment with my ex-fiancé and I was already suffering.

The cold expanse of cheap white linen became illuminated from the first strike of lightning. It had been so long since I'd slept alone and the thought of doing so in the middle of a torrential downpour only exacerbated my lonely thoughts.

At least I wasn't in the house alone, as my brother and his roommate were only a few feet away but separated from my room with four thin walls.

Flashes of the day I'd had tried to invade my mind then. My gorgeous white lace dress laying in tatters on the floor in front of the closet a delicate misery reminiscent of the days I'd been blissfully ignorant to the truth that laid in front of me for so long.

If only I'd allowed myself to be less naive, my heart wouldn't have been on the ground right along with my once glorious wedding gown.

"Lydia, you alright?"

My brother Lucas peeked his head through my new bedroom's door and I looked up through tear stained lashes.

I'd lost my home, my fiancé and my best friend all in one night but thankfully at least I still had my family... sort of.

"I'm fine. Thanks for letting me crash here..." I trailed off not knowing what else there was that I could say.

The disastrous day tried to come back to me all at once but again I shoved it down, my gag reflex wanting to take me to the toilet again to puke out my tumultuous emotions once more.

Thankfully the feeling passed and I tried to focus in once more on what Lucas had been saying to me.

"You can stay here as long as you want. I know you make good money at your job and it's a lot less in rent than your other place. We were honestly looking for another roommate anyway and Reed is totally cool with it. Emmett has to stay near school so he won't be coming back until this Summer, if he comes back at all.  You can stay here indefinitely, sis. If you want to."

"Thanks Luc. I'll need some help getting my stuff from the apartment if that's okay?"

He flashed a small smile and I knew he was happy that I'd agreed to stay at his rent house. My brother had done good for himself with a career in bioengineering but he was still going through grad school and shared the house with a fellow student,  Reed Mitchell, who'd quickly become his best friend.

Emmett Scott had also lived in the house before as well but left to pursue his degree at a division one college where he could put his football dreams in the forefront.

I thought back to when I had first met Emmett two years prior, but the memory of our meeting was marred by a fight with Nate.

Nate.