Chapter Six (Part 2)

I couldn't help myself

I couldn't help myself. My phone lit up with a notification that Lydia had 'posted for the first time in a while' and the curiosity just got the best of me. I was still tangled up in a mass of sheets and dark hair as I peered at the sultry image she'd posted.

I groaned inwardly as I took in the shapely look of her long, dark legs and noticed that her body had changed in the long eight months that we'd been apart. She'd gained muscle mass on her thighs and toned up her bare stomach, her smooth skin in a perfectly defined hourglass figure that most girls I'd been with would have killed for.

She'd angled her body so that her back was facing the camera and I had to bite back the desire that shot through me as I scrutinized every single inch of that picture. She didn't have a stitch of makeup on and still her face was more beautiful than those who paid thousands of dollars for that 'natural look' and Lydia just made it look effortless.

Her pink pouty lips took up the majority of my attention but something struck me as odd. There was a small glimmer of a scar that I'd never seen before on her eyebrow, a pink line that reminded me of my own scars on my face from years of brutal football training.

Had something happened to her in the months that we'd been separated? And if so, was she doing okay? She seemed like she was doing better than okay, especially if she was posting pictures like she was.

Sofia stirred in her sleep beside me and I vowed to return to the picture later, when I was only in the company of me, myself and I.

"Good morning," she smiled lazily at me and I forced one back to her, my muscles aching as I was reminded of our late night physical sessions and then how not so careful we'd been in evading the paparazzi as we got in the same vehicle to go to her house. I could've sworn that they'd snapped a few pictures of us as we entered her building as she didn't have a permanent residence in Boston.

I hastily grabbed up my clothes from the floor and rushed to put them on, remembering my early morning practice that coach would probably kill me for missing, especially so close to the Super Bowl.

"Where are you off to so soon?"

There was a mischievous glint on her face, and had she been another woman with blue eyes instead of the brown ones staring back at me, I would've taken her up on that offer, coaches be damned, but she wasn't her and I felt no magnetic pull towards this woman, just a waning desire in the morning light.

"Early practice, I can't afford to miss any especially right now," I pushed out as politely as I could.

"Call me later, then? We can have dinner, maybe go to the club..."

"Yeah sure, sounds great."

That was actually the last thing I wanted to do, but I agreed anyway, hoping that the distraction would take my mind off of the girl who haunted my every waking thought. I assumed that getting with other people and focusing on training and football would make me forget her, but of course, things never went the way that I planned.