Chapter Twenty-Six (Part 2)

"We need to talk, yeah, those are the best words a girl wants to hear

"We need to talk, yeah, those are the best words a girl wants to hear...sure. Let's talk."

He strolled into the apartment and if I didn't have a diagnosed heart condition I would have forced myself to the doctor the next day with the way it was ricocheting around in my rib cage all willy nilly.

The stormy expression that clouded his features warned me that this was not going to be a happy conversation. He eyed the countless documents spread around my apartment and while in retrospect it could have seemed as if I were being a bit obsessive about the details of the case but I had just had a major breakthrough in evidence and I needed all the information around me in order to connect all the dots.

He hardly got his huffed breath out before my phone started going off yet again, probably Layla bugging me about Nate.

I went to grab it on the mountain of case files but Emmett stood up and walked over to grab it for me, inevitably seeing everything that was sprawled out on the couch, probably the crime scene photos too. I cringed, not wanting him to have to see those things, but his focus was mainly on my phone.

"What's wrong?"

He ground his teeth together as his steely glare slapped me in the face.

"Emmett..."

What had he seen on my cellphone?

"Layla wants to know what to do with Nate. Apparently you've been obsessed with getting revenge on him, too? Seems like there's enough men in your life right now, am I not enough? You can only have someone there when you're trying to get them put in prison or a hospital? This is sick, Lydia. I thought you were done with all this shit!"

"Emmett. I only talked to her once a few weeks ago, before I was in the hospital, and after she contacted me again saying she was practically stalking him, I told her to stop and to leave me alone."

"Looks like you talked to her the other day. You know, when you talked to my uncle and lied to me about it?"

My veins filled with ice at his words. He wasn't just angry, no. He was filled with rage, and I was worried that most of it was actually pointed towards me, instead of his uncle which seemed to be the main focus of the conversation.

"I..." I didn't have an excuse for not telling him. I didn't want to add to something else that would hurt him, something else to put on his plate. I figured that he'd call him and they'd figure out their shit together and he wouldn't need to get angry that he had called me too.

But of course those words didn't come out of my mouth as I sat there nervously wringing my hands in front of my body.

"You what? You just thought that you'd lie to me and pull away and sleep over here last night instead of telling me that my family contacted you? Didn't you think I'd want to know that?"