Epilogue

The stars specked the night sky like snowflakes on asphalt, their gleam not dimmed by the harsh stadium lights that shone heavily down on the green turf that was filled with almost a hundred players congregating on the sidelines and meandering to ...

The stars specked the night sky like snowflakes on asphalt, their gleam not dimmed by the harsh stadium lights that shone heavily down on the green turf that was filled with almost a hundred players congregating on the sidelines and meandering to the line of scrimmage in the middle.

There were flashes of people on the big scoreboard in the corners of the stadium, and a few people took advantage of the attention believing it a kiss cam, wanting to display their affections to the watching world.

It was our Thanksgiving game against the Cowboys, and my blood was pumping hard and swift in my veins as the screen shifted to the VIP box seats which held my smiling fiancé watching the game proudly, that happy gleam finally back in her after everything she'd endured.

The crowd grew rapturous at her appearance on the screen, and I felt a few of my buddies clap me on the shoulder noticing the same.

The media blitz around the entire debacle was deafening, louder than that of my 'relationship' with Sofia Renault, who was happily married to the guy she used me to make jealous, and louder even than the dull roar of the winning team of the Super Bowl just two years ago.

Two years, we'd lived peacefully and contentedly in that apartment while she finished her law degree.

Together we'd worked through her anxiety, her panic attacks, her nightmares that roused her from a deep sleep.

Again and again I would reassure her that she was safe, right after tucking her into my arms to lull her back into a gentle sleep.  My nightmares weren't much better, but at least I didn't wake screaming from them.

And then one day, they just stopped, almost on the exact same day as hers did as well.  That glorious shine was brought back into her blue jeweled eyes, shimmering like night stars in the sky on the night that I asked her to be my wife, the very day after her graduation from law school.

It was brittle and cold, but the sky was void of any clouds in the sky whatsoever, and the park was where I'd once taken her after her recovery from her illness with her heart, which was easily controlled with medication thankfully.

The lampposts lit the way, and in lieu of any rose petals lining the walkway or any cliche expression of grandeur, I'd enlisted Amalia's help to plan the entire event. 

White wisps of sheer fabric clung to the barren trees, encasing the area in an almost ethereal atmosphere, and as she took each step, she grew closer to the arbor framework decorated with her favorite flowers- wisteria.

It hung from the high archway above my head and draped the covered walkway as she took slow, measured steps towards, me, that illuminating light in her features nearly blinding.

I was already on my knee as she walked up to me.

The clash of helmets and men grunting with excessive strain along with the cheer of a raucous crowd pulled me out of my heartfelt memories and I focused on the game at hand, lest I allow us to lose a game two weeks in a row.