Chapter Fourteen (Part 2)

The whole week was an entire blur

The whole week was an entire blur. Once I had had my conversation with Sofia about Lydia, we staged a breakup but it leaked to the press that she was talking to Tyler Reed before we could tell our 'sources' to sell our breakup news to the tabloids. We hadn't ever posted about each other on social media so it wasn't even that serious.

I felt bad that Sofia was painted as a cheater but she said that her fans would be so happy that she was back with Tyler that they wouldn't care, not to mention I was going to be with Lydia again, I hoped.

After I got the news that she was in the hospital everything moved faster than the speed of light, or so it seemed.

The doctors thought they knew what was wrong with her but she wouldn't wake up, and being stuck with no answers wasn't good enough for me.

I paid the best doctors I could find to study her condition and before her parent's plane even touched the ground I had her moved into the best wing of the hospital which awarded me much more privacy.

They were surprised to see me but I hardly paid her mom any attention, spending most of my time with Amalia and her brother and father, her friend Malcolm hanging on the outskirts staring at me with wide eyes and a starstruck half smile on his face.

It was only when I was practically pulled away with the threat of a lawsuit and losing my position on the team that I reluctantly left with my coach and my manager and made my feet carry me to the airport, the bowl game being held in Atlanta this time.

I didn't miss the reporters and photographers camped outside of the hospital but they were at least classy enough to not ask that many intrusive questions. They probably assumed it was just a family member.

The entire game was completely surreal. I was living my dream through the lens of fear and anguish, but I still tried my hardest to soak up the feeling of being on the world's stage.

This was the culmination of years of blood, sweat, and tears and at twenty-three years old, this was probably the highlight of my career.

This was for everyone who said I would never make it far. It was for my ex that cheated on me, and then tried to play me with my competition just to climb the social ladder.

This was for my father, to prove to him and to myself that I wasn't an addicted worthless piece of shit who chose drugs and alcohol over my family, who stepped out on his wife and beat him and his son whenever he got a chance.

This was for my mom, a victim of the abuse who wasn't strong enough to face her demons head on for her son, so she fell into the same pit of despair as her husband and left that little boy anyway, the same way his father did, through the grave.

Now they were both buried six feet under and I was doing this to prove to them and myself that I would build a bigger and better legacy for this family than they ever could have. I was there to create something better than they ever could have been and they weren't even alive to see my accomplishments and own up to their shortcomings.