Chapter Thirty

I was floating on a cloud of contentedness the entire day, not even worried about the fact that I had final exams later in the day, and that I would be going to the club the next day with Emmett to finally take down Rafael

I was floating on a cloud of contentedness the entire day, not even worried about the fact that I had final exams later in the day, and that I would be going to the club the next day with Emmett to finally take down Rafael...not to mention the fact that Layla was trying to blackmail.

I had finally had a full night's rest, and that really did wonders for my psychological health.

I didn't want to make it seem like I was using Emmett, but I wasn't sure if I could suffer through another sleepless night filled with night terrors and anguish if my remedy was only a few doors down.

Would it make me a terrible person to sneak into his room and use his arm around me as my medicine, knowing that soon enough he'd want something more, something that I wasn't mentally equipped to give him yet...

We would just take it one day...or night...at a time, and see where this thing that we were doing took us.

My phone decided to start ringing in that moment.

"Hello?"

"Miss Montgomery, this is Adele Ryan from the admissions office at Harvard University. I was calling to follow up on your application that you sent in a few months ago. We recently sent you word of your acceptance but you haven't signed in to your online portal and accepted your invitation. We're almost at the deadline so if you've decided on another school, we'll need to know soon."

"I'm so sorry, did you just say that I was accepted into Harvard?"

I had only applied on a whim a few months prior, when Nate had beaten me down, emotionally and mentally enough for me to finally want to break out of the cage he had created for me.

"Yes, I was aware that your informational package was signed for, did you not receive it?"

"No ma'am, my address recently changed, that must have been my previous...significant other that signed for it. We aren't on good terms so it makes sense that I never received it."

"Oh, well we'll need your new address and we can send you everything, but in the meantime, check your email if that is still the same and I'll send you your online portal password and username which you can change once you've logged in once. Congratulations, not many people get accepted to our graduate program."

"T-thank you so much! I am looking forward to joining you this fall!"

I gave her my new address and we hung up, my mind still reeling from what she had just told me.

Harvard, a fresh start away from Nate, my toxic family...close to Amalia! I could even ask her to be my roommate if I got a new apartment up there.

Law school...a chance to become someone who could stand up for the victim and make them a survivor- something that I was never given the chance to do.