Chapter Twenty-Five

My alarm clock wasn't the only thing that woke me up the next morning after the great night I spent mostly with Lydia

My alarm clock wasn't the only thing that woke me up the next morning after the great night I spent mostly with Lydia.  It would've only been made better if she'd actually spent the entire night with me, but I knew she was nowhere ready for that.

There were some moments where she was incredibly shy and self aware, but then there were those rare times in which she was more brazen than even me, turning that damn 'bet' around on me in an instant.

She was warming up to me at least, and that was all I could ask for.  I could tell that she was going through some serious trauma, and I wanted to be there to help her through it but I also knew that she needed time to sort through it all herself.

The incident the night before was jarring for even me, so I could only imagine how she felt as it was all going down.

I didn't know who that man was that came to her parents house, but it was obvious that it was a betrayal how her mother had continued to have a friendly relationship with him when it was clear to anyone how upset that had made Lydia.

I pushed it all to the back of my mind, however, as I prepared mentally for my first day of recruit practice for the Patriots.

It would also be the day that Drayton Merrick would make an absolute fool of himself by walking into a closed, secret practice, hopefully ruining any chances he might have going forward in an NFL career.

I tried not to notice the long glance Lydia threw my way as I passed her in the hallway to the bathroom.  I tried not to notice the way her outfit clung to her skin that made me want to rip her clothes completely off.

And lastly, I tried to ignore the magnetic pull that was drawing me in to her presence, the always present atmosphere that was tinged with electricity any time we were near.

It was hard enough to not kiss her the night before, but I respected her boundaries because of what she'd gone through at dinner.

The only thing keeping me from her in that moment was the fact that her brother was staring me down in the kitchen, practically forcing me to keep my distance.

"Alright, I have to go to school to present my project.  Reed, can I catch a ride with you?"

Reed stuffed the rest of his bagel in his mouth and nodded, and then it was only Lydia left in the kitchen with me.

"So, I know you said we wouldn't use me as bait at the club for Rafael but..."

"But what?  Oh god Lydia, what did you do?"

She put her hands up in defense, that long, dark hair swinging almost as if it was in protest of my tone with her.

"Hey, I didn't do anything...really.  How were we to be absolutely sure he would show up at the club this weekend?  I just gave us some insurance.  He asked me out again, and I said yes."