Chapter Forty

Last night was the best night of my entire life

Lydia was everything I had ever wanted in someone, and more. I couldn't imagine my life without her, but I had only known her for a few weeks. She had brought something out in me that I thought was dormant, something that I thought was erased long ago from the stains of my childhood.

I remembered my father telling me that no one would ever love me, and my mother pretty much sealed my fate and made that statement true with her actions, but Lydia would hopefully prove them both wrong.

I was in love with Lydia, and I was determined to make her feel the same way about me, too.

She disappeared to go and pick up her friend from the ramifications of her wild night out and I strategized on how to make Lydia see that we were meant to be together.

She was going to Harvard, and I was going to be a Patriot. It was all working out too well for us not to be perfect together.

I used to be scared that I'd never find a woman like Lydia...someone who could understand the trauma of what I'd been through and come out on the other side of it. She didn't relate to the exact type of issued I'd gone through, but she was strong. She was a fighter, a survivor.

I thought I'd forever be stuck dating Marnie's for the rest of my life, never fully realizing what it meant to love someone the way they deserved to be loved, but I knew for Lydia, she was it for me.

So when she called me after I got back from my run, screaming about Rafael, Amalia, Marilyn and a taser, of course I was worried.

I was more worried than I'd ever been when it came to her. She was ranting on and on about how she'd punched him and my body locked up in a terrified panic.

"You did what?!"

I was back there, in that moment, as a little boy watching his father beat and terrorize his mother right in front of his own eyes.

Every slap was like a break across my own face, every teardrop sliding down her cheek felt as if it had landed on my own.

My emotions tore through me in that moment and I knew if I didn't get a handle on them I would explode but soon she arrived back at home, and there was no putting a lid on anything anymore.

Amalia and Marilyn escaped to Lydia's room in a quickened hurry, their tear soaked faces proof enough that what they went through was traumatizing. But my eyes could only focus on Lydia.

The crack of my father's belt exploding behind my ears, she began speaking. Everything was muffled, as if I were hearing her words underwater while I was drowning from the weight of her decisions.

Decisions that could have cost her the life that so delicately rushed through her veins. How could she have done something so reckless? Once she realized it was Rafael's house and that her friends were in danger, she should have called the police, not taken the law into her own hands!