Chapter Twenty-Seven (Part 2)

I had to set up an appointment with my publicist and my manager in order to do the damage control that good ole uncle Jesse Scott had caused

I had to set up an appointment with my publicist and my manager in order to do the damage control that good ole uncle Jesse Scott had caused. I was aware of the pop culture reference of 'Uncle Jesse', however mine wasn't as PG as the one that had garnered attention from the original namesake.

My uncle was a spineless, greedy and evil man who only cared for himself and didn't think of the people around him before he acted.

He almost ruined my relationship. Who knows what would have happened if Lydia had seen the details of my stint in juvie without me there to explain it to her...although she had been taking the news in stride.

She already wanted to be there at the joint interview with Julia that we had already set up in order to clear up any miscommunications that occurred from the news breaking. I'd then have to set up an exclusive talking about my past with a major news network, I just had to figure out who I wanted to give the exclusive to. My managers wanted me to go with someone who was unbiased but my publicist was pushing me to do the interview with the network that offered the most money.

I was just tempted to record myself and my side of the story without an interviewer and just post it on the internet and see what happened, but I was 'strongly advised against' that option.

I cursed as I checked my watch and realized that I was already late for my interview with Julia. It had been a week and a half since the entire ordeal happened and my reputation online wasn't the greatest, but everyone was hoping that this would fix things.

I'd been so busy training and taking meetings that the only time I'd gotten to actually spend quality time with Lydia when she wasn't studying or researching a case was at night where we'd spend the night wrapped in each other's arms.

She'd taken to wearing my shirt as a nightgown and the first time she'd donned my clothes, a feeling I wasn't akin to experiencing flowed through my body. She was getting more comfortable with me and I was doing the same with her. I got used to waking up next to her and falling asleep next to her. I didn't want that to end.

Ever.

I knew what that meant, but I needed to get us through these obstacles, together, and then I could focus on what those other thoughts meant. I knew what it meant to live without her in my life and I never wanted to feel that way again.

Lydia would be coming straight from her second follow up doctor's appointment where she had to undergo a stress test for her heart but the doctors were optimistic that her condition, which was something called tachycardia, could be well managed with medicine.

When I heard how common the condition was and how treatable it was, the amount of relief that surged through my body was indescribable. The thought that she could leave me permanently was more terrifying than my uncle destroying my career, more horrifying than even myself dying, because living without her would be absolute torture. I knew, because I'd experienced it firsthand, but if she were to die, that pain would be increased tenfold, because that meant she would be unreachable, gone forever.