Chapter Twenty-Eight

Movie night was illuminating

Movie night was illuminating.  I learned Emmett was extremely ticklish in his ribcage and had an affinity for stealing covers, but there were no more kisses, just comfortable and carefully timed cuddles that I jumped out of when Reed walked in on us again.

"So I guess we should talk about those rumors on the internet about us..."

"Oh, right.  Well, I didn't necessarily shut them down like I should have, but it was obvious we're roommates.  If they want to put their own spin on it then that's on them but I'm not putting myself in the spotlight, I've already had my name dragged through the mud countless times before, and I'm not ready to revisit that again."

"I totally agree, I don't want you to say anything either, that'll just add fuel to the fire and keep your name in the tabloids even longer.  The good news is that- wait, actually there is no good news."

We shared a harsh laugh and it was so easygoing, our personalities meshing so well together. Maybe being a couple in real life wouldn't have been so complicated after all, but I was scared to take that plunge so quickly. I needed to get to know him much better before I thought about anything further than friendship.

Lucas came through the doors halfway through our movie, though, and the mood did a complete one-eighty.

"So this is really a thing, then?  Reed told me what he saw the night before but I didn't believe him."

"Lucas, it's not like that.  We're just getting to know each other."

He puffed his chest out while Emmett shrunk back into the couch, clearly not wanting to start a fight with his technical landlord.

"I thought I made myself clear, I didn't want you dating Lydia then and I don't want you dating her now."

"Lucas!  You can't just dictate my dating life like that.  We're not dating, but I'm not closing that door completely in the future.  You're my brother and I love that you're so protective of me but I am an adult and I can make my own decisions on who I want to date."

"Yeah, because you've made such great choices before?  Remember Christian, Nate?"

Lucas had never spoken to me like that before.  He knew what happened with Christian was not consensual.

"How dare you?  You know what happened with Christian, and I clearly never chose to date him. You're turning into mom."

"Lydia, wait.  I- I didn't mean it like that!  I mean that you have clouded judgement when it comes to guys because of him!"

"Maybe you didn't mean it like that but that's how I took it.  Maybe that's what you really think deep down, that it was my fault, that I chose to have something like that happen to me.  It's okay, because I don't think that and that's all that matters...but if you want to continue being in my life then you need to lose your tendency to think like our mother."