Chapter Twenty-Eight (Part 2)

His arms came around my waist and I laid back into his chest, relishing the feeling of his strong arms encircled around me as I scrolled aimlessly through the countless emails that had pored through over the course of the day

"What's that all about?"

Emmett's voice rumbled through my chest and a contented sigh escaped my lips. Never in my life had I felt so at peace, but laying on the couch cuddling with my boyfriend's arms holding me tight while I worked to put a criminal behind bars and he watched old tapes of his football plays was a pretty novel experience and I was having a damn good time doing it.

I curled up even closer into his body and inhaled his scent, the cologne that I had picked out for him making me weak in all of the best ways.

It had been three weeks since the interview with Julia and our impromptu talk afterwards had kept Emmett intrigued but he had never outwardly questioned me about what she'd said.

I had told her how much I appreciated her coming forward and that I was very impressed with her work as a social worker and that I was following a similar path, committing to a career that I was driven towards because of injustices I had encountered when I was younger, and I could see why Emmett was drawn to her in their youth.

She was gorgeous, light hair and skin and a saintly quality to her, but never once did Emmett make me feel threatened by her presence, and once the story had come out with her words printed for the world to see, Emmett's name was cleared and all of the angry Twitter rants about him finally ceased.

Then the Twitter sphere blew up about our relationship and his name was once again in the spotlight, but I didn't mind it much because this time it was positive. The whole media world was still going on and on about how badly Sofia Renault had treated him and they were glad that they had found someone else after she 'broke his heart'. We decided to just laugh at the rumors and the stories because there wasn't much else we could do to change our perception to strangers.

"I'm just checking my emails on the case. After I sent the pictures with proof that Christian had somehow escaped his house arrest, it wasn't long before the authorities couldn't hold up their case against the original defendant especially considering he had no motive and there was no murder weapon found. The authorities are trying to get a search warrant for Christian's house but they have to keep it quiet so he doesn't find out and try to stash the gun anywhere else, so far they have a warrant for his house they're just waiting on the one for their second house on Lake Charles and then they're going to hit them both at once."

"Wow. So they really think he is the guy. I'm sorry I ever doubted you."

I smiled and snuggled up closer to him while he leaned down and placed a gentle kiss to the side of my head.

"I would have doubted me too, it was pretty suspicious and paranoid sounding," I said with a light chuckle and laughed out loud as Emmett physically flinched as he watched a repeat of him being sacked on the television, a memory that he told me he didn't want to relive.