Chapter Twenty-One (Part 2)

It took a day and a half, but pretty soon we had had our fill of each other enough to be able to finally be around other people, even though Lydia's sexual appetite was almost insatiable but I wasn't complaining one bit

I made sure to be gentle with her even though she objected to that notion. Once we got the news that she was able to resume normal activities we had pretty much been slaves to our desire that we'd had to ignore for so long.

The reality of the outside world finally creeped back in one morning as she realized that it was time to attend classes once again. I was hesitant to have her go by herself so I dropped her off and made sure that Lydia was fine before leaving her to her schoolwork and suddenly I found myself at the hotel where her parents were staying, and I assumed Lucas as well even though he'd recently found an apartment in the area.

I had no idea what I was doing until I was on the elevator on the way up to their room, and even then I almost talked myself out of it but deep down I knew it was the right thing. If my parents were still alive and we were in the same position as Lydia and her parents, I would have wanted someone to butt in for us.

Her parents were alive and were actually trying to make amends and be in her life, something I'd never have, and I didn't want her to regret later not having tried everything to make things right.

My fist was raised and knocking on the door before I knew what I was doing and her mother answered shortly after, hair and makeup impeccable, not a single thread out of place on her expensive attire.

Her mother was a different breed- something I wasn't particularly used to. I was used to a mother with bags under her eyes, the wrinkles more prominent from the constant drug use and frowning.

I was used to bruises coloring her features, monosyllable words and a blank stare that didn't reach her eyes, eyes that actually showed the trauma and pain she was going through no matter how hard she'd tried to hide it behind her emotionless facade.

Lydia's mother was different. She wore a mask, too, but hers was to try and show the outside world that she was perfect when I knew that that was the farthest thing from the truth.

"Emmett. What can I do for you?"

There was a slight tinge of ice to her words and while I knew that she still didn't approve of my relationship with Lydia, she also knew that I loved her and that I would do anything to take care of and protect her, even from her mother.

"I wanted to talk to you about Lydia, you, Jonathon and Lucas. May I come in?"

She skimmed her dark eyes up and down my attire and I almost wished I'd changed out of my workout wear but then realized that this wasn't about me- it was about Lydia, and I was going to try my best to make her life easier, even in a way that she probably wouldn't appreciate at first.

"Of course. Jonathon- Emmett is here."

She opened the door wide and I gave the Presidential suite of the hotel a once over. It was extravagant and much too spacious for just two people, but if they could afford it, then who was I to judge?