Chapter Nineteen (Part 2)

"You're not Emmett

"You're not Emmett."

"Nice observation. And you're Lydia, I presume."

I took in the superstar's outfit as she stood in front of me, drop dead gorgeous and only in loungewear that celebrities threw on and still managed to look impeccable in. I suddenly felt small and inadequate. Emmett chose me over that? And what was I? Nothing compared to her beauty...

"You presume correctly."

There was a silent second where I wondered if she was going to come for me but the moment passed and a blinding smile flitted onto her features. I let out a breath I definitely knew I'd been holding.

"May I come in? I left a few things here when Emmett and I were still together and I just needed to stop by and pick them up."

I moved my body out of the way, my hip resting against the doorjamb and beckoned her inside with my head, and I didn't miss the way that she looked me up and down and I immediately grew self conscious of my attire.

I had only been expecting company from my mother so I kept my face makeup free and only dressed in simple dark jeans and a white t-shirt of Emmett's that I'd stolen. The look was perfectly relaxed and I held my hair up at the top of my head in a messy bun, definitely a lazy day outfit but not something fit for a visit from one of the most famous people in the country.

Her presence filled up the space around us and my pace quickened with anxiety.

"Why couldn't Emmett just mail you your stuff back?"

The question was harmless, and I hoped my mind understood that, but my vocal cords didn't understand that when my voice came out unusually snippy, her eyebrows immediately going up almost into her hairline at my question.

"Sorry," I said off handedly but suddenly the air in the room was thick and suffocating and I wanted nothing more than for her to remember she had somewhere better to be and just leave. She did the exact opposite.

She sat down on the couch in the living room like she owned the place and tucked her feet up underneath her, abandoning her tennis shoes that probably cost a few thousand dollars.

I could hardly look at her face with how perfectly tailored her makeup was to her. It was almost like she was a magical creature and I didn't deserve to look upon her beauty.

Ugh! She was just a person...a person who had just asked me a question that I hadn't listened to.

"I'm sorry, what?"

Her bottom lip ticked at my question as a fake smile fell upon her sickeningly beautiful features.

"I said that you were right, I could have simply waited for Emmett to mail me back my things, but if I'm being honest...I was curious about you."

Now it was my turn for my eyebrows to disappear into my hair. A woman like Sofia Renault was curious about me? Why? What could she possibly have to be curious about?