Chapter Thirty-Four

Emmett squeezed my hand as we approached the house, the sensations from our kiss still ebbing and flowing through my body like the waves on an ocean shore

There was a crowd of people waiting on the steps of the home and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"What's going on," I wondered aloud, the people coming more and more into focus.

"That's Christian's father. What the hell is he doing here?"

Emmett couldn't answer my question, however, but I was going to get the answers myself as I tore open the door to the Uber faster than I had ever left a car in my entire life.

Of course, my mother was still there, hanging onto his every word as if he were the messiah or something. Typical.

"Ah, Mr. Westmore, do what do I owe this displeasure?"

Harvey Westmore, father of my abuser, stared me up and down as if I were nothing to him. Even lesser than a fly or the dirt under his shoes.

The grey hair on his head grew more unruly by the day and I would have piped up and given him the advice to just bite the bullet and go bald if it weren't so damn ugly. Let him humiliate himself day in and day out in the courtroom. Maybe it'd give him less credibility if he looked like a mad man.

"Mrs. Montgomery. I have simply come under the pretense of hearing out your mother but I am really here to ask you to stop spreading those tasteless lies on the internet about my entire family! We all know the truth here so we can skip the baseless falsities and your lies."

I wanted to laugh in his face. I felt the anger boil up and bubble over, but I refused to stoop past his level. If I fed into the rage, then he would win.

"I'm not quite sure I know what you're talking about. I haven't lied to you a day in my life, I hardly even know you, we've only spoken a handful of times. I'm sure you remember, when you tried to discredit me in front of our entire town and my whole family, even though it was yours that was in the wrong? You'd do anything to protect your own, though, right? So much for truth and justice. Oh I forgot, you lawyers don't care if the client is even guilty though, especially if it's your son?"

That got the man even angrier, as he adjusted the tight suit jacket atop his plump figure.

"Young lady, you know exactly what I am talking about. I am a respected lawyer in this town and I can do lots of things, I am very powerful. I can make sure your father never sees a political office in his life!"

"Ooh, I'm so scared."

My mother paled at my mocking words but Lucas and Reed who were quietly watching the scene from afar snickered into their hands. I really had no idea what lies he thought I was spreading on the internet, but I couldn't care less about him in my daily life.