Chapter Thirty-One (Part 2)

"I can't just live my life in fear, I have to live!  Otherwise, what was the point of everything that I've endured in my life up until now, if I reduce myself to tears any time I think I see Christian's face in an alleyway?  I am stronger than thi...

"I can't just live my life in fear, I have to live!  Otherwise, what was the point of everything that I've endured in my life up until now, if I reduce myself to tears any time I think I see Christian's face in an alleyway?  I am stronger than this, and I resent the fact that you think I'm some delicate flower who can't take care of herself."

Okay, maybe that was a little bit harsh, but when Emmett told me that I couldn't attend my classes because of the Christian situation, I knew that I had to stand up for myself and to him.  I wasn't going to live in fear, not anymore.  I had taken down too many abusers in the past to succumb to that kind of lifestyle.

"Well then at least let me send someone with you to make sure that you're safe!  The police suggested that themselves, did you not hear the detective assigned to this case?"

Emmett's blue eyes were stark with worry and I found myself reaching up and placing a hand on his face, his features immediately calming upon my touch.

"Fine.  But they stop at the door to the class."

"Deal."

He leaned down and pressed his lips lightly against mine, but it wasn't long before I wanted more.  I knew we couldn't indulge ourselves considering the fact that I was about to be late to my first day back to school since the whole Christian debacle.

It was a short and sweet kiss that had me wishing I'd taken a class later in the day, but the both of us needed to get our days started.  Emmett had a day filled with meetings and press conferences, majority of them wanting to ask about me since the press had caught onto the Christian story from back in Texas.  It was more than embarrassing to say the least to have paparazzi trying to pry into every single aspect of my life, but I tired to ignore it and just carry on like nothing was wrong when it was one of the hardest things I'd had to endure.

The flashes of cameras in my face reminded me of the first time I'd been put under media scrutiny back in my home town before the trial with Christian and the remnants of that panic bubbled up in my throat any time I'd step outside of our protective little bubble in his apartment complex.

"Walk out with me?"

He noticed the fear and trepidation in my eyes and held onto me a little bit tighter for a few seconds longer, not realizing just how much this little show of support meant to me.  He heard all of my tiny secrets and small triggers, and in the dead of night telling each other our deepest darkest secrets and desires, he held onto every tidbit of information I gave to him, like it was a life line and he would drown if he forgot even a small snippet of what I was telling him.

It was one of the reasons that I adored him so much, he always listened to me and made sure to implement what he learned into our life.  If I liked my tea with two extra sugars, then he would always make sure to make it just how I liked it.

When I would come home, he always had a piping cup of coffee ready for me to go because he knew I would want to stay up almost all night studying.