Chapter Five

"Okay, we need to set up some ground rules," Lucas said once Lydia retreated into her room to study

It was coming up on Summer break for classes next week so she was probably swamped with finals. I wondered how she'd ever do well on a finals test after everything she was going through.

My room barely had anything of hers in it at all, except for that white dress I saw laying on the floor and my stupid brain just put together that that must've been her wedding dress.

It explained the torn fabric and dirt smeared all over it when I had noticed it leaving her bed that morning.

I couldn't shake the sight of her gorgeous blue eyes that stood out against her tan skin staring me in the face while I 'argued' with her.

"Emmett, are you even listening?"

I snapped back to attention to what Lucas was saying.

Reed shook his head and fixed the glasses on his face.

"Yeah man, ground rules. Lay em on me."

"Well, obviously we've never lived with a girl before...I think we need to set up a no-dating rule, especially since she's my sister."

A grunt escaped me, keeping my opinions on that to myself for a few. He knew about my inability to follow rules, so he shouldn't be offended when I find a loophole to this 'do-dating' rule.

"Yeah, no dating, no kissing, no flirting and especially no screwing."

Well, he didn't say no touching...

I rolled my eyes.

"Why didn't you look at Reed when you read off all those rules?"

Reed let out a bark of laughter and I found a sardonic tone in his voice when he spoke.

"If you came around more often than every other semester, you'd know that I came out of the closet last month. I have no interest in Lydia romantically or otherwise."

My eyes widened to saucers. Well, that explained why he never took to any of the girls that I'd set him up with over the years.

"Well...good for you bud. Be your authentic self is what I always say. Listen, it's not like I wanted to stay away for so long, I just got so laser focused on the NFL that I forgot to check in with the people who've been there for me from the beginning. I'm sorry."

They exchanged matching questioning glances.

"Forgiven. Unless you mess with my sister. I'm worried about her, she's been so...normal. She was with this guy for four years and they almost got married, surely she's going to break, right?"

"Not necessarily. I was with Marnie for a long time when she cheated on me and I didn't 'break' or anything like that. Want me to talk to her? I've got some experience in that department," I said genuinely, waiting anxiously to put my plan to get my room back in motion.