Chapter Thirty-Three

I gulped in fear as their face flashed before my eyes, the memories of everything that he had ever done to me rushing back in a full frontal assault

My emotions overwhelmed me and brought me back to that place, the one where I felt helpless to save myself. The place where I felt like I was nothing, worthless, just an object to be had and destroyed at any man's whimsy.

Not anymore.

I was done being a man's plaything. I was done being used and abused over and over by the same gender who didn't even bother with caring who I was, caring that I was an actual human being and not something that they could just take advantage of whenever they felt the pleasure come over them.

"I'm taking back what is rightfully mine. This is stolen property."

He took a menacing step forwards, and I could tell by the scent of the whiskey on his breath that he'd been day drinking. Again.

Guess things weren't going as well with Layla as he'd been making it seem.

"You shouldn't have come back here. I'll make you regret every stepping foot on my property ever again."

His words slurred and he stumbled as he tried to keep up his intimidating stature.

Normally, I would have been scared, but there was this electric zing that had filled up every nerve ending inside of my body.

It was like the old Lydia had taken a step back and was allowing this new, empowered version of myself to take front and center. I had only felt that way once before, in that dive bar where I had threatened a man who was trying to take advantage of a woman in front of my very eyes.

This was something that had to be done. I had to take my power back, otherwise I would always be a victim.

The man had the power. It was always the case in every situation in my life.

My father was a police officer, so I knew authority and power roles better than most, but he was a great man...but it also made me more susceptible to those with more powerful roles in society.

I would allow a man to walk all over me, especially after what Christian did to me. All he had to do was be forceful and imposing.

I was weak before, but I refused to be that whimpering, cowardly little girl anymore. I was going to fight back tooth and nail with everything that I had in me. I was going to show that he couldn't control me any longer.

"Oh yeah, Nate? And what are you going to do about it, huh? You look a little rough, you sure you can even walk a straight line, let alone threaten someone?"

"You bitch."

"Yeah, you've called me that before, plenty of times. But you got it wrong, I'm not the bitch."