Chapter Sixteen

I pinched my eyes with my index finger and thumb, already tired of the phone conversation I was having with my ex girlfriend

"Marnie, I already told you at the club. You know where I stand on this."

"But Emmett. You're already getting scouted by the Patriots, it's all over the news. We could finally be the power couple you always wanted us to be!"

"Oh, so that's what all of this apology act is about then? You saw that I was being scouted by the Patriots and now you want to make up for what you did to me? Do you forget that you're the reason I wasn't with the NFL sooner? They wanted me three years ago and I deferred because you wanted me to. I did it for you and look what I got in return? You cheating on me with every dick you could find."

"No Emmett, that's not even the reason at all and you know it! I was going through some really hard stuff and-"

"I went through shit in my life a million times harder than your parents getting a divorce. I get that it sucks but fifty percent of marriages end that way, that does not compare to what I had to deal with in my childhood and you don't see me out here cheating on you or anyone else!"

"Oh please, you haven't had anyone to cheat on. What's that I hear from my friends at school? You've been single and fucking any girl who'll give you the time of day? What about that girl hanging all over you the other night, another one of your meaningless conquests right?"

"I don't have time for this Marnie. I'm late for practice and as you somehow already know, every practice counts because of my scout process. I'd say see you later but that's not something I really want. Goodbye."

She started saying something but my finger was pressing the red end button before she could try to stop me and squirrel her way into another monologue of how stupidly sorry she was.

Her arrogance and annoyance was working its way onto my last nerve and I knew I had to do something about her before she became even more of a nuisance but my only priority in that moment was focusing on not injuring my hamstring even more during practice and putting football before everything else in my life in that moment, including Lydia, which was easier said than done.

Sweat dripping into my left eye, I focused on the ball in front of me as stains from the colored turf seeped into my practice jersey with each slam tackle that visited me to the ground.

It wasn't until the fifth tackle that practice that I realized I really hadn't put everything to the back of my mind like I'd really hoped.

My father's disappointed face flashed in my head and I grunted in exertion as I threw the ball once more, my body making contact with another player as if on cue and slammed down, but at least the ball had sailed through the air and landed in the intended player's hands before earning my side a touchdown.