Chapter Thirty (Part 2)

"And what about Amalia?  She's in a wheelchair for god's sakes, how can she really defend herself if he comes after her looking for me?  I can't be responsible for her being attacked again, again, Emmett!  If it hadn't been for my selfish need to ...

"And what about Amalia? She's in a wheelchair for god's sakes, how can she really defend herself if he comes after her looking for me? I can't be responsible for her being attacked again, again, Emmett! If it hadn't been for my selfish need to get Raphael in prison that night at the club, he wouldn't have gone after her. God, it's happening all over again. I can't protect anyone, not myself, not Amalia, not you, and I can't-"

"Lydia, breathe. It's not your job to protect me, or anybody else, that's the police's job. He won't be able to touch you, or Amalia, and I can take care of myself, you don't have to worry about me."

"He shot his best friend, Emmett. He killed a person in cold fucking blood and who knows what set him off, but that could be you! He's already shown that he is a killer, what else do I have to prove to show you that you need to be worried?"

"I am worried, for you, but not for myself."

Ugh! He was so impossible. If he didn't want to take his safety seriously then I would have to find out a way to make him.

"Put yourself in my shoes. How upset would you feel if someone was coming after you and I refused to acknowledge that I was in any danger?"

"I would just take you everywhere I went and if we had to be separated then I'd make sure you'd have security on you. That's the beauty of having money, I can hire protection."

"Protection and security won't deter him. He's clearly sick in the head, if he's determined he could get a shot off even before the best security teams could stop him."

Emmett scooped me up in his arms and I melted against his embrace, my head leaning back against his chest as we waited until the detective on the case showed up. I wasn't sure how we had fallen asleep the night before, Emmett barricading the door per my request with a chair underneath the doorknob and the dresser pushed up against the only window in the room.

The knock sounded and I flinched, eyes wide in fear as they reached Emmett's calm features. How could he have been so put together in this moment?

It was my parents and Lucas, not the detectives yet.

My mother was the first to pull me into a suffocating hug, followed by my brother and father while Emmett stood off to the side to give us some space. Our relationship had changed drastically, simply from that one family intervention that Emmett had forced upon us.

I guess I just realized that Emmett didn't have anyone to be there for him unconditionally that was blood related, well, besides his dirtbag uncle but that was besides the point.

I realized how good I had it, a living family that was willing to put in the work to put the past behind us and apologize for all the wrong doings committed and I was the only one holding us all back from healing.

Healing sounded a lot harder to do in that moment, from all of my other festering wounds that surrounded my sealed up scars in my gaping chest cavity filled with the remnants of my past.