Chapter Fifteen

I ended up on the wrong side of town in my miles long run and with side stitch after side stitch plaguing my abdomen and shin splints ricocheting needling pain up and down my legs I decided it was about time to stop

I hadn't eaten anything all day besides an apple and small sandwich that I'd bought from a little cafe halfway through the day, and my run.

It was close to one in the afternoon since I'd started running around five A.M. and people were just starting to exit their homes and places of business for lunch.

I checked my phone that was previously superglued to my side with the tightness of the waistband of my leggings, realizing that I had about a million missed calls and text messages from Lucas asking me if I was alright.

And then a reminder that I had a meeting with my therapist that afternoon, and I was about to miss it.

I really needed to get my car back from the apartment.

I'd left it when I was packing up all of my stuff because it just reminded me of the family I was so close to starting with Nate.

I had even quit taking my birth control pills so my body would be ready to conceive a baby right after we got married, and thankfully we'd been using condoms before the wedding or I might have been with child...the thought both sickening and terrifying in the same breath.

Thanks to a ride sharing app, I made it to my appointment with only a few minutes to spare so I lingered around in the parking lot, luxury vehicles dotting each space lined in white paint.

Considering my bulging bank account for the ad writing I did, I was able to afford pretty expensive health care, thus a top rated therapist, although she didn't seem to be doing that much for me.

We were supposed to be tackling my anxiety and panic attacks, but lately it seemed like she was trying to pry into my childhood which was something that was off limits to everyone, even me.

A gorgeous silver Tesla pulled into a spot in the front row and out stepped the man I should've been thinking about all night but was instead plagued with nightmares and my past...and a certain roommate I didn't want to think about at all.

Rafael Rodriguez, a very influential and obviously rich man went to the same therapist that I did? Or at least his therapist/psychiatrist was in the same building as mine. That made more sense, considering I was the one with the appointment.

I quickly dashed into the building before he could spot me, disgusting and sweaty from at least a fifteen mile run for seven hours...broken up into walking breaks of course. It wasn't like I could run a marathon without stopping.

I was well aware of the odor I exuded, so I made a quick trip into the bathroom to dab a paper towel with soap under my arms, my hairline, and my chest underneath my shirt.