Speechless - 22

Courtney's POV:
I threw my bag onto the kitchen tiles as soon as I walked into my house after school. Opened the fridge and dug out something to eat before noticing Lucy sitting in the living room with a tall blue eyed man side her. My eyes perked up when I realized who it was though.

"Barlow.." he said with a smirk. I caught my own self smiling heavily when he said my name. It's been quite a while since I seen him. Almost 2 years to be exact. But even so, whenever I did see him, I was happy. He quickly pulled me into a hug and ruffled my hair up as if I was still that young eight years old he met 9 years ago. "Thought you could get rid of me huh?" He asked after letting me go.

I gave off a breath of relief knowing he still cared enough about me to even come visit me after everything he himself knew about my family. "I didn't think.. you would want to come visit." I stuttered. Even though I knew him for such a long time, I barely communicated with him during the years. Or anyone at all, but you knew that. He rolled his eyes and smiled.

"Sorry young lady, but Curious George isn't going anywhere." He replies back with the stupid nickname I gave him when I was only eight. I sighed. After bringing news that my parents were in a terrible car crash and attended both my mothers and grandmothers funeral, you'd think the guy would realize by now that everyone around me leaves, and take off. But knowing he still cared after all these years was a huge sigh of relief. "And did I just hear you talk?" He asked intrigued.

It was weird, honestly, talking. I never thought I'd even do it myself but for some reason, after getting my old friends back, Bridgette and Gwen, and knowing they don't care about how messed up I was, as long as I stay their friend, it kinda made me want to talk. Them and that idiot, Nelson, who shared a part of him that seemed like he closed off to people. The tough guy act really did nothing but annoy me, it was the sweet part to him that honestly touched me, somewhere, because honestly, it's hard for me to really develop my feelings after everything. "Yea, I decided to try new things this year." I replied back.

....
After catching up with George, evening rose and Lucy started dinner. "You sure you don't want to stay? It's been so long since she seen you after all," she asked the tall man.

He chuckled and nodded his head, "I'm sure, besides, my wife would kill me if I don't eat what she's cooked up tonight, thank you for the offer though." He replied. I sighed. How could it be nine years and I had no idea this man had a family of his own. A wife, probably kids too. A happy family. While he was stuck comforting me and my broken family, I never stopped to learn about his.

"Of course, dont you dare forget to tell Elizabeth we said hello as well," Lucy said as she walked him to the door. He chuckled and said his farewells to her and I.

"Now, why don't you get the table set up and we can get to eating." Lucy said to me from the front door. I got up from the living room couch and walked to the kitchen after finishing up my homework. "Maybe we can meet George's family this weekend. After everything he's done for us, it would be nice to repay them with a hot meal and open arms just like his wife and him has done for us." She continued.

"I'd like that." I replied back. It would be nice to thank his wife for the cards and food she used to have George bring over when I was little.

Authors POV:

George quickly got into his police car and turned on the engine after agreeing to a dinner with Lucy and Courtney. As he was about to put his car into drive his phone rung and his wife appeared on the screen.

"Just the beauty I wanted to talk to." He smiled. "What do you say to a dinner with Courtney and her aunt?" He continued.

"Courtney? It's been so long since I heard about her, she's back now?" His wife asked.

"As soon as I found out I had to go see for myself. Just got done welcoming them back into town," he continued now driving his car.

"I would love to have them over for dinner, haven't gotten the chance to meet the poor girl because of you honestly." She replied back. George chuckled and rolled his eyes.

"Hey don't blame your tight work schedule on me now," he fired back, "hows the kids?" He asked.

"You know the usual, Everyone's doing their own thing, especially your son."

George rolled his eyes after hearing that one. "I have no idea what to do with that kid, I can only blame myself for the way he acts now." George replied after listening to his wife.

"Don't blame yourself sweetheart, you know we all dealt with Mateo's death in our own way, he's just coping." She said, trying to comfort him.

"Sometimes I feel like he'll never cope Elizabeth." George said.

"Don't say that George, he's dealing with it the only way he knows how, he'll get better."

"Yea well I hope Duncan copes soon because spending almost every weekend in juvie isn't helping himself get better."

"Your son just needs to realize that he's not alone in this world sweetheart, that it's ok to be sad, and it's ok to get better." Elizabeth said now sighing over the phone. "Him and that Courtney girl."

______________________________________

I hope you guys like this chapter. I'm sorry it's been so long since I updated. Schools out now and I'll try my best to continue my stories, as long as you guys don't give up on me 💓