Speechless - 30

Courtney's POV:
I never realized how cold a hospital could be until I spent what felt like months inside one of its small closed off rooms that reeked of rubbing alcohol and old food that had been packed and shipped in huge boxes.

I rubbed my feet together to feel a spark of warmth as I sat on the hard plastic chair. Lucy sat next to me as she watched every sudden movement made in front of her. The nurse stood as he folded the blankets laying at the edge of the bed. My father... my father laid there and stared at the ceiling with no words to say. But what can one say after learning that nine years of his life was spent in an unconscious state of mind with no unsure point of recovery.

I used to beg for a moment where my parents could just sit with me and enjoy our time together, but never did I wish for this. A mother, lost in the wind, and a father who's incapable of grasping the fact that it is not February 14th, 2011. I am not eight, and mother is no longer here.

I stared him down while thinking of them and took a deep breath in and out. "So what now?" I asked the nurse, now bringing up the elephant in the room. He looked at me unsure of my existence.

"Well, we're going to run a few more tests on him and monitor his blood pressure. Overall, evaluate his current health because as you told us earlier he spoke, but hasn't said anything since then. But hopefully with good news, he can be discharged in about a week," he responded thoroughly.

"Yea I mean, he just said one word when he woke up... my name, isn't that a good sign?" I asked worriedly.

The nurse sighed and put the last of blankets down. "Well, it's hard to tell. Usually after someone wakes up from a coma, they don't talk, as their brain is still trying to get back into its usual routine, and control the body and mind, it's good that he spoke but we want him to keep speaking, show some sign of growth." I sighed after listening to him ramble on. "It's remarkable that he woke up after so long so we just want to knock off any problems he may be facing with his state of mind and get him back to a healthy one."

He looked at Lucy and I and nodded her head before heading out the door with some things. I looked at my father once more who laid there silently. Almost brain dead even.

"It'll be ok Courtney, we'll make this work." Lucy said softly. It's funny, she has been saying that exact sentence since my father looked her in the eyes when she first entered the room. It's hard to be this strong for someone who is scared of the future, me. But it's also hard to pretend to be brave for someone else.

Duncan's POV:
Eight hours ago I walked into school expecting some sort of light to fixate my eyes upon. Instead, I sat in multiple classrooms with the worn out lightbulbs flickering on and off reminding the janitors that at some point they were going to have to do some hard labor.

I sat angrily for eight hours without a reason, waiting for my light to shine and fix my mood. But of course, that never happened. So, I was quietly waiting for that eight hours of school to end, so that I can go home and prepare myself for my favorite yearly event.

Yes, I heard all of them calling my name today, wondering why my mood was less lively than usual but those calls were as important to me as the love I had for my family, none. So I sat in silence for eight hours.

At some point, I too, wondered why my mood was so off, but every time i thought about it, I got quieter. But then again, why speak when nobody important was speaking to you.

I got on my bike and revved the engine at the end of the day, happy that those eight hours were finally over. Off I went, riding the monster down the street and leaving Geoff in the parking lot of the school.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked myself as I kept driving. "You know what's wrong, you're just trying to push the thought down," I continued. "But which problem do you want to focus on right now?" I shook my head trying to keep my thoughts from expanding on this topic, I can't let it.

"Come on, who do you want to think about?"
"Is it the cute freckled brunette with issues, or is it your dead—" I roared loudly as my bike came to a complete stop.  Surprisingly in front of the liquor store. But I wasn't there to drown my sorrows in those types of toxins.

I rather run from my mind, so I did what any teen would do on a Monday afternoon, get high. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't thinking. And not thinking could land you in trouble, like sitting in the back of a cop car because you got high in the back alley of a liquor store that a cop was standing 6ft away from. 

_________________________
Hey guys I'm back in school now so that means less updating my stories, I'll try my best to though cause I want to get far with this story.

Also thank you guys so much for 150 followers 😢
Like and comment ❤️