Speechless - 28

Sunday Afternoon
Duncan's POV:
"So who was the important guest your family had dinner for last night?" Geoff asked as we continued to move around the garage. I rolled my eyes and continued to tighten the bolts on the fourth tire I was working on.

"Geoffrey, didn't your mother tell you to stay out of grown folks business?" I asked as I poked my head out from under the car now.

"Dude, I'm older than you by a month," he said as he rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, I rolled mine and smirked.

"Is your nosy ass must know, it was Courtney." I went back to work. Geoff and I had a business going on. We fix cars, illegally of course, because unfortunately for us, we can't get our automative technician license until after high school according to the dumbass law.

"Courtney?" He asked.

"Yes." I replied.

"Courtney... brunette, freckles, huge attitude?" He continued now confused.

"Yes dumbass." I replied again.

"Ye- High, can talk but only to some people?"

"Geoffrey, grab me that wrench so I can hit you over the head with it," I continued now getting annoyed.

"Calm down man, I'm just trying to make sure we're talking about the same Courtney," he said hiding the wrench behind him. "Courtney Barlow right?" I rolled my eyes and continued my work.

"No, Courtney the gorilla." I answered sarcastically. "Yes, Courtney fucking Barlow." I honestly feel as if I'm the smartest in my friend group cause it's damn sure ain't Geoff.

He rolled his eyes and continued his own project, finally. "How do your parents know her?" He asked, now interrogating me.

"Turns out we knew each other since we were eight but, you know, she moved," I replied back, thinking about the photos my mother kept of us when we were younger. For some reason the memories were a blur to me.

"Damn dude, I would kill to have known my girl all my life," I rolled my eyes and got up.

"She's not my girl." I said bluntly. Geoff crossed his arms and smirked at me as he picked himself up off the floor.

"Oh come on, you're going to tell me you don't want her?" He asked enthusiastically.

"She's cute and all but you know I can't be tied down. Besides, the only love in my life is Scruffy, you know that." I said coldly.

Geoff rolled his eyes and cleaned himself up, "Calling your pet spider the love of your life isn't normal, and again, don't say that in public, people think we're weird enough." I rolled my eyes and smirked. "You're gonna have to find love one day Nelson, and out of the blue your childhood friend comes back into your life?"

I shrugged and looked into the distance. My childhood friend. According to those photos, Courtney and I were nothing close to being friends. In fact, I think I stuck the middle finger up at her in one of the photos."

"Come on, let's go before it gets dark, you know the drill." I said as I packed up our tools and hid them away.

"All I'm saying is maybe, this is fate, I don't know, but you like her dude, you just got to admit it," Geoff said as he grabbed his bike helmet and walked with me.

I rolled my eyes and got on my bike. "Ok love doctor, how about you focus on driving right now," I said sarcastically.

And so we did, we drove. And I thought to myself, Courtney Barlow, and I? Together? Maybe when pigs fly.

————————————————————
"Get your dirty ass hands off my controller!" I heard my little brother yell as I entered my house. I looked into the living room and saw the twelve year old arguing with our older brother, and my parents shaking their head in disappointment.

"Come on you little brat, let me play." Luis said as he took the controller away from Adrian.

"No! You're twenty-one years old trying to play Minecraft, go to fucking work!" He continued.

"Adrian, watch your mouth," my mom said completely ignoring the whole situation. I rolled my eyes and went into the living room and sat on the couch.

"Ok mommy," he said softly. What a suck up.

"You already got your new game, why are you still acting like an angel when we both know you're not," I said joining in on the argument. Adrian rolled his eyes when he noticed me.

"Oh great the least favorite is home," Luis said with a smile. I rolled my eyes and stuck my middle finger up at him.

"Hey, as long as you keep making dad lose hair, and Luis just be useless as always, I am the angel in this house." Adrian said bluntly.

"Well, he's not wrong about that," I said as I shrugged and got my phone out.

"About you making dad bald?" Luis asked as he grabbed Adrian and threw him into the couch and walked over to me.

"No, about you being useless," I said as I scrolled through tik tok.  "Dads getting bald cause he's old."

"I can hear you two, you know," my dad said as he rolled his eyes.

"Yea, for now! Soon you'll be walking around with a hearing aid," I said as I walked into the kitchen to grab lunch. "Aren't you like, seventy-five now George?" I asked. I smiled widely, knowing how easy it is to make my dad angry.
.............
Courtney's POV:
"Hey Court?" Lucy said as she entered my room. The blonde looked at me concerned, put her phone down and slowly walked towards my bed.

"You ok Lucy? you look like you're about to have a stroke," I said nonchalantly, trying to make her and I laugh. She looked down then back up at me. "Seriously, whats wrong, you're freaking me out."

"I just got a call from the hospital in North Bay... your father... he woke up."

____________________

These next few chapters gonna have you rereading like this