Speechless - 29

Courtney's POV:
I asked myself this question many times and never really thought of the perfect answer to it. I've always thought that at some point in my life it would happen, I'd finally get to see him, but that point in my life faded nine years ago, when I came to the realization that I had to give up on the thought of him coming back into my life.

Yet here I am, nine years later in this hot car, staring out the window, thoughts running through my mind as Lucy sped through the highway. The question, the question I gave up on, now resurfacing as we changed lanes and took small exits. Still wondering what answer I'm supposed to give this answer.

"Courtney," I heard in my thoughts. But still my mind wondered off. "Courtney..." I looked up to see Lucy looking at me through the mirrors in the car. "We're here," she said before getting out of the car. I turned my head to the left and saw a white building with the word 'Hospital' plastered all around the lot. Cars driving in and out, people walking away happy, some sad, some panicky.

"Come on Courtney, let's go." Lucy said as she opened my door.

"Lucy..." I said as I hesitated to move my feet, she looked at me in awe and pulled me into a tight hug. I looked around at the people once more, people leaving with their kids, some newborns, a family. "Lucy, what am I going to say?" I stuttered. She looked at me and ran her fingers through my hair. This question, I had so much trouble answering, it resurfaced so quickly.

"Just tell him you're happy he's awake sweetheart," she said as she held my hand and led me in.

......
Gwen's POV:
I gathered my lunch and walked over to the table where I was greeted by my group of friends. Bridgette and Geoff cuddled up next to each other, Trent, who gave me a slight smile and strummed his guitar, Dj, eating the food he brought from home, and Duncan, who sat and stared out the window, silently.

"Wow, Courtney still isn't here?" I asked. They all turned to look at me and shrugged. I took a quick glance at Duncan, but not a movement was lead by him, he still, sat there and stared out the window.

"I'm happy you're back," I said to Trent who took a bite out of his lunch. "I'm not sure who you are and what you've done with Trent though because our Trent doesn't eat Chef's lunch," I said with a smile. He chuckled and took another bite.

"Hey, I'm a growing man, and a mans gotta eat," he said playfully. I chuckled.

"Growing? Man?" Bridgette asked sarcastically and laughed, "You haven't grown in 3 years," she continued now starting another weekly argument with Trent.

"Dude, I literally grew an inch while I was out of town," Trent said coldly. "Yea, you're now looking at a 5'11 muscular man," he said as he smirked. I rolled my eyes this time at his lame side comment.

"Wow, you grew an inch, now you can finally reach the top of the locker in the boys changing room!" Geoff said sarcastically. "Yo, Duncan, pretty soon Trents gonna be taller than you man!" Geoff said, now joining in on today's discussion.

We looked at Duncan to hear what he had to say, cause we all knew he always had something to say but the guy continued to look out the window. "You ok man?" Geoff asked concerned for his best friend. The lunch bell rung heavily and we watched as the black haired kid got up quickly and left us at the table.

"Who pissed in his cereal today?" Trent asked, we watched him leave and all shrugged. I thought to myself, the anniversary is coming up pretty soon, but he's usually more rude than quiet, this is something else, but what could make him this quiet, especially at a chance to humiliate Trent?

"When's the last time you guys seen Courtney?" Bridgette asked.

....
Courtney's POV:
I walked through the halls after getting directed to a room by the nurse at the front desk. I was a bit panicky but who wouldn't be after hearing news that their father was finally awake from their coma after nine years.

The doctors thought it would be impossible, it would take a miracle for him to even show strength after the car accident, so after a few months in, we were sent to pull the plug on him, my grandmother of course, signed the papers as I sat there and watched silently. She walked towards the cord, tears fully clogging her vision but as she struggled to find it I screamed.

Nine Years Ago
"He moved!" I shouted enough for the other nurses to hear. My grandmother looked at me sadly and shook her head.

"My love, this is already difficult enough, please don't make up things like that." She looked at me wiped her tear away as she went back to her son.

"No! I'm not lying abuela I saw his hand move!" I shouted angrily. I couldn't control my behavior at that time, but she wouldn't listen to me.

"Courtney, do you want your tia to take you outside?" She asked me. I crossed my arms and stomped my foot.

"I'm. Not. Lying!" I said, I looked over at him and widened my eyes, "Look!"

Present Time
After my grandmother and the doctor witnessed my father move his finger slightly we were directed out as nurses came flying in.

We were later told that he had a strong pulse on him and they would prefer to keep him in there to see if he would show strength. And so, for nine years we waited, and waited, and waited.

I entered the dark room and tripped over my own feet before finding the light switch.

I heard a weak masculine voice grunting as I turned the lights on. And there he sat, black hair, brown eyes, and freckles plastered all on his face, mother always talked about how I resembled my father to a crisp, and for the first time in my life, I stared at him and realized, she was right. "Courtney?" He blurted out.

___________________________
I'm going to sleep hungry tonight cause I only got $2 on cashapp and I want a burrito from Taco Bell but I don't get paid till Friday!

___________________________ I'm going to sleep hungry tonight cause I only got $2 on cashapp and I want a burrito from Taco Bell but I don't get paid till Friday!