Chapter 15: I Am Always By Your Side, Arthit

"Arthit, I think its time you met you mom"
Arthit's POV

"I am not sure if she would want to see me, Kong."

"Well, you need to find a way because we only have 7 days left till the accident. I am not sure if we can avoid the accident altogether if you don't talk to your mom.

"There must be some other way Kong. I really cant—"

"THERE ISNT ARTHIT! Even if I stop my dad from going out that day, your mom would still be out on the road drunk driving. She could hurt herself, or worse someone else. What if someone else gets injured in my dad's place?

I watched you die today Arthit. And I realised that as long as your mom dies, you will too. It was the worst day of my life."

"What?"

"I believed that as long as I was by your side, I could protect you and save you with my love. But I was wrong. You—you looked so fragile and then suddenly there was so much blood.." Kongpob couldn't stop his tears from falling. His hands were shaking.

What exactly did he see today that made him so broken? I was too afraid to even ask.

"I dont ever want to relive that Arthit. I dont want to live in a world where there is no you. Please talk to your mother. If not for you, then for me. She is the only one who can save both my dad and you"

"Kong, I am so sorry you had to go through that." I hugged Kongpob tightly, hoping to ease his pain a little bit. He was still very visibly shaken.

"I'll try to reach out to her tomorrow. The last time I talked to her was when I left the house. So it might take me a while to get through to her"

Kongpob broke our hug, sat on the sofa, and held me tightly by my waist."Why—why did you leave?"

"A family friend outed me without my knowledge and told my parents I was gay.

My dad wanted me to convert into a hetero. And mom, well, she was just very hurt because her only son betrayed her and hid something as big as this."

"Was she angry with you?"

"I think she was just sad because I didnt end up becoming the kind of man she wanted me to be. I was always a good student, top of my class. The ideal son. She just expected me to find a good girl and settle down eventually."

"She is your mother Arthit. She loves you. I am sure she will come around"

"I dont know about that. But I know I should go and meet her. If I can save my mom, I'll do anything it takes."

I couldn't get any sleep that night. All I could think about was how I was going to meet mom and what I would say to her when we meet.

•••••

The next day, mom was still ignoring my calls. So, I decided to call the next best person.

"Hello Thipat uncle? Its Arthit!"

"Arthit, my dear. How are you? Are you doing okay? Where are you staying right now?

"I am doing okay uncle. I rented an apartment near college"

"The home is not the same without you, Arthit."

"Are you doing well, Uncle? I hope dad doesnt give you a hard time for talking to me.

Your dad couldnt even dare. I have been working for your family for 25 years now. He can threaten the other house staff all he wants to lose any contact with you, but not me. You are my boy Arthit, I have watched you grow up."