Chapter 16: I Will Never Leave You, Arthit

Chapter 16:Arthit's POV

"Arthit, what are you doing here?"

"Mom..."

I hadn't seen her in 2 months and yet. Mom looked like she had aged a decade. Her wrinkles were more prominent, she had big dark circles, and she looked extremely frail.

I could see the tears forming in mom's eyes and I couldn't hold myself anymore. I hugged her instantly.

"I missed you, mom" My voice was quivering as I tried to talk through my tears.

"If you missed me so much, then why Arthit...just why didn't you pick up any of my calls?"

I looked at her all confused. "Mom, what are you talking about? You are the one who has not been picking up my calls!"

"Arthit...why, just why would I ignore my own son? Are you deliberately giving me all these lies to justify your behavior? Why would you lie to your own mother, Arthit?"

I could sense mom's anxiety setting in and she was almost on the verge of a panic attack.

"Mom. Mom. Its okay. I'll explain everything, I swear. Take a few deep breaths. We used to practice it before when the doctor told you, remember? 

Inhale.Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

One more time.Good now, lets sit down on this table. I'll get you your favourite tea and some cakes, and then we'll talk."

Mom held my wrist tightly. "Arthit, you—you won't leave again?"

"Of course not mom. I am your son. How far could I ever go from you?" I smiled at her and walked to the counter.

I took the cakes and tea, and kept it on the table with a big smile.

"Here mom. They had some fresh carrot cakes today so I got those."

"I tried calling you everyday son, you never picked up my calls. I didn't even know where you were living. I was planning to go to your college next week"

"I tried calling you too mom, but you ignored my calls. I thought..you hated me for being gay" I looked down at the table, trying to hide my tears. "I am sorry I couldn't be the son you wanted me to be."

"No, no. Arthit. I would never hate you. I was angry that day when your father asked you to leave the house because it all came as a shock to me, but I could never hate you son."

"Why—why didn't you stop me mom? Why didn't you say anything to dad?"

"I am sorry Arthit. I just..I didn't think that things would get so bad. Not stopping you that day you will be the biggest regret of my life. I had no idea I wouldn't get to see your face for two whole months. I called you the same night you left to ask you to come back, but you didn't pick up my phone since then."

"Mom, will you show me your phone? I think there is something wrong with it. We should have been able to connect to each other, but none of our calls got through"

I took mom's phone and checked for any issues. She was right, her calls weren't going through to my number, but everything else seemed to be working fine. Opening her block list, I found my number there.

"Mom, you blocked my number! This is why we couldn't call each other. Why did you block me?"

"Arthit, I don't even know you can block people on phone. I don't know how the blocks things work"

"Did someone take your phone on the day I left the house?"

"I am not sure. No one touches my phone in the house apart from you or your father"