Ch 31: Chasing a Normal Life With Arthit

"That's... that's where mom used to go for her treatment. Why the hell did he go back there"

Kongpob's POVy

"Arthit, you told me that your mother was struggling with alcohol addiction. Is that why she went to that hospital?"

"That and clinical depression. Things got incredibly bad for sometime. But she has improved a lot since then. She is still on medication though.

Moreover, she hasn't gone back to that hospital in years. I don't know why dad would go back there."

"Umm.. Arthit, can I ask you a personal question?"

Arthit smiled. "Always."

"Does your mom has some company shares or other assets in her name?"

"Uh. Well technically, the entire company is my mom's, including the office building and even my house. It was founded by my mom's father. She has the majority of shares in the company."

"Wait.. is that why Uncle Thipat called you the 'heir'?"

"I guess? But I don't care about the company. I never thought about taking it over. My dad always told me I should do my own thing instead of getting sucked into the business. Of course, now it makes sense why he said all that"

I patted Arthit's hair "I think you would do great leading the company, Arthit. And I think I know what your dad is up to, but I need to confirm it first. Can you drop me at my father's office before heading home?"

"Ah. Okay. Sure. I want to leave this car back at the house anyway. It was a mistake driving it on that day." He sighed deeply. "I still regret it."

Arthit was staring into nothingness and tightly gripping the steering wheel to stop his hands from shaking. He was continuously tapping his index finger and I could feel his nervousness setting in.

"Hey Arthit?"

"Hmmm?"  He finally looked at me.

"Can I drive the car instead? I have actually never driven a Mercedes and I wanted to give it a try."

"Yes. Of course." Arthit quickly stepped out and he finally seemed a bit relaxed when he sat on the passenger's seat. 

With a little bit or maneuvering and instructions from Arthit, I started the car and we headed towards his house.

Arthit was humming the songs on the radio and looking out the window. For a second, I wanted to forget about everything else, turn the car around, and just take him out on a long drive away from the city.

"I have never heard you sing before"

Arthit was startled and darted his eyes at me. "I wasn't singing, Kong. It was just a little bit of humming"

"Well, may be" I held Arthit's hand and squeezed it tightly. "I love it when you hum Arthit, and I love you"

Arthit cheeks turned a cute shade of pink. He smiled and looked out the window again to hum the song playing on the radio.

May be some day our lives would really be that simple where we could sit in the car and take a road trip. But not today. Today, I needed to keep going to secure a better future for us.

As we reached his house, I parked the car in the garage and handed the keys back to Arthit.

"I'll take a taxi from here back to my dad's office.

Oh and Arthit, can you try to find your mom's hospital papers? I think the lawyers might find them useful."

"Yeah. I think I can find those. I'll check inside"