𝐯𝐢. the siphon

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗 - the siphon

━━━━━━━

𝐎𝐏𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐀'𝐒 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒 had sent the three of them into a bout of silence. The sound of Davina's charcoal scratching away at her canvas accompanied the sound of the violin strings that Elijah tweaked, determined to fix the instrument. Ophelia had picked up the book she had taken her eyes away from and trailed her eyes over the words, relishing in the comfortable silence. It was strange; the all-powerful harvest girl, an original vampire, and the abominable siphon all sat in silence doing small and menial tasks.

Elijah would allow his eyes to stray from his task every now and then to study the two in his company; the young witch would stick out her tongue in concentration and it would remind him of just how young she really was; she was just a child. And he couldn't keep his attention away from Ophelia. She had yet to spill much about herself, she was almost completely silent and the sound of pages turning and her small breaths were the only indication that she was still in the room.

He would catch the woman's eyes rolling at the words she read and the way she would glance over at Davina to make sure the young girl was alright. Their own eyes connected once or twice, each time she rose a brow at the original; having caught him studying her.

Elijah cleared his throat, his eyes diverting back to the instrument in his hands, "So, enlighten me. What did you mean when you said Davina had to die?"

Ophelia dog-eared the page she had gotten to, slowly closing the book as she shifted to sit up cross-legged, her muddied dress pooling in her lap as she caught Davina's look. The young girl seemed nervous to share the story and upon seeing the siphons nod of encouragement, Davina took a breath.

"That's what the Harvest was. They said they'd put us four girls in a state of, like, peaceful limbo as part of the offering. And then later, at the Reaping, we'd awaken and be reborn." The last living harvest girl scoffed lightly to herself, "I never got as far as the limbo part, which means the Harvest isn't complete. That's why the witches are so freaked out. The Reaping is just around the corner, and if they don't finish it before then, it's over. All I have to do is wait it out."

"And then what?"

"They're punished, and I'm free." Davina smiled as she placed her charcoal down. She dusted off her hands and began to gather her clothes, passing them to Ophelia to fold before putting them into a suitcase that laid at the foot of the bed.

Elijah furrowed his brows, his fingers pausing their work on the violin. "From Marcel?"

"Of magic. All our power will drain away. I'll be normal."