Thank you -Kale's POV

Kale's POV-

If anyone would have told me a month ago that I'd be stuck in the human territory hauling around bags for a girl like a pack mule, then I would have told them that they needed to get their delusional self away from me. However, that was exactly what I was doing, and to be honest... I truly didn't hate it. Don't get me wrong, I didn't totally enjoy it but the smile that played on Lucy's lips when she saw something she particularly liked, or the way she absentmindedly held onto my hand when we were walking to our next destination, or the red that stained her pale cheeks when I helped her pick out undergarments, or the way that she was happily bonding with my sister and Yuli was a reward in itself. I loved seeing her like that. She obviously had such a confined life before she came to us and that had taken a heavy toll on her happiness and enjoyment of life. I loved seeing her small smile and hearing her harmonious laugh, it was so precious.

The shopping trip went smoothly with no incidents or kidnappings, and we managed to get Lucy many things. We made our way to our cars and got into the separate vehicles. Lucy and I in one; then Yuli, Nat, and one warrior from each pack that their mates sent to go with them for extra protection. Neither man took chances with their mate, no sane male wolf would.

Lucy looked at her new clothes that were in bags in wander and looked at me with a look of amazement. "Thank you, Kale." She whispered to me from the passenger seat.

That small but very genuine thank you would never leave my memories. The way she looked at me with such disbelief that she had received something of her own was the most heartbreakingly beautiful thing that I had ever seen. "You're very welcome, Luce."

The ride back to the pack territory was silent as we were both lost in thoughts. I was lost in thoughts of the fact that I had practically called Lucy my soulmate out loud and to her face earlier when warning about human territory. I felt like a fool, but I also just wanted to declare it to everyone not just her. She, of course, being the wonderful soul that she is, hadn't commented on it or pushed me on it at all. That made me feel even worse, in all honesty.

I looked over to her as she was staring out into the darkened vegetation that was going by quickly as I drove. She was smiling softly as she leaned her forehead on the window. "It's so warm," she spoke softly and closed her eyes.

"The window?" I asked slightly confused.

"Everything here is." She said and looked at me with a shy smile. "Where I was, was so cold, damp, and scary. It was like an eternal winter there, the weather and the people. I hate the cold. Everything here is so warm and welcoming. Well, maybe the pack isn't super welcoming but everything else is and they are still pretty nice comparatively... its so different from where I came from. It's so... nice and warm."

"You'll never have to go back there ever again, Luce. Never again." It was a promise. I wouldn't let her go back to that awful place where so many unspeakable things happened to her. Never.

-----

The night was lonely since Lucy was so drained after the shopping trip that she went almost immediately to bed. I barely got her to eat a couple bites of pasta before she practically passed out on my shoulder and I had to carry her up to her bed, so she didn't fall from being dead on her feet.

Her room was plain and left exactly the way it had been when I first gave it to her. Only the bed and a few other pieces of furniture occupied the room, nothing that showed who she was or that anyone even really lived in it, aside from the shopping bags now. I felt badly when I walked in. I wasn't sure what I was expecting since the girl didn't even own clothing much less décor... but still, she hadn't done a single thing to make it like a home and that made me sad. It was almost like she could disappear from my life one day and there wouldn't be a single thing to remind me of her, I hated the thought of that.