Chapter 23: Memory Lane

Stacy POV...

"Miss D, is that really you?" I was flipping through the pages of her family portraits.

"Yep, that's me. I wasn't born yesterday, I was once your age before." She laughed at the photo.

"Awwwe Miss D you were so cute." I was geeking out over how young she looked.

"And I was such a brat." She responded,

The weekend finally came back around, and I'm over at Xavier's house on this warm afternoon. The sky was partly cloudy, it's at least 88 degrees outside, and everybody's either resting outside or inside their house under the AC.

Xavier wasn't home at the moment, he was over Jordans house throwing football with them. So everybody else was occupied with their own thing, Miss D and I decided to sit in the living room— and look at their family photos.

"When we got our first camera back in 99, boy we didn't know how to act. I was 15 years old when this picture was taken of me." She told to me as she smiled at the picture

"Wow... it's almost like you haven't aged a bit." I raised my eyebrows.

She felt her face. "I guess being Stress free, saying no to alcohol, and drugs really does the trick."

"That's a pretty outfit too."

She laughed again "My sister made me wear it that day, and there she is right beside me in this photo."

"I've been meaning to ask you

"I've been meaning to ask you. What was high school like back in your day?" I asked her

She crossed her legs and took in a deep breathe. "High School... was just like y'alls school up here. Oakland High?"

I nodded.

"We had everything going for us. Back in the day Phoenix use to have the best school program ever. You had good food, good education, Diversity, and it was as if everybody was happy to go to school back when I was going."

"I see you mentioned food." I criss crossed my legs on her furniture.

"Oh yes, back when you had to pay for lunch. That food was the ish yo." She and I both laughed. "No one likes going to school hungry."