Chapter 31: Old Enemy

Spirit week is possibly if not the most exciting week in high school. Students run for court, creativity is blossomed throughout the school walls, and Friday puts the cherry on top—Homecoming.

Homecoming brings out the spirit of those who cherish their high school's culture and here at OHS, it's nothing compared to any other high school I've seen up close before. It's Tuesday now, and this week has been rather intriguing for the students and staff.

But for us football players, its been causing us to have some sleepless nights.

Our homecoming game is the kick-off to our regions and to our luck we happen to play Oakland Tech—our biggest rival. They've been undefeated this season just as we've been undefeated. The most dominant thing they have on their team is their offensive schemes, they run a freight train offense.

RPO's, Jet Sweeps, Stretch Runs, etc.

This will probably be the toughest offensive group our defense face yet, but all we can do is be prepared and that's what we've been doing for this past week in a half.

We're in film study now as I speak.

Our head coach is breaking down they're schemes and we're soaking up as much information as we can. The room was so dark due to the amount of rain we've been receiving all day, and now that I think of it the field is probably soaked.

That shouldn't matter though, we'll have to be prepared to play in any climate.

Coach Floyd continues to break down the film as we all sat in the room in silence. The AC was getting the best of some of our teammates, for they're beginning to fall asleep—damn near awake.

As leaders, Markus and I are keeping them awake and on their feet. Cause as a team, the starters will not be able to play this game alone. When we become winded (which is a low chance we will) we expect our second stream to be ready to hit the field—and so on. I want us to be the best team that we can be and I know we can't be perfect.

They say practice makes perfect, but it really just makes everything permanent. 

Without warning a beam of light scorched the surface of our eyes, as our Coach finally turned the light switch on. Everybody got to there feet and stretched themselves out, for we've been in here for a good half an hour.

"Alright!" Coach Floyd grabs our attention. "Just as we've been studying there film, I can guarantee you they've been studying ours as much as we have. So take this film into consideration, and make sure y'all study in you alls spare time as well. It's 2:59, and it looks like we'll be having wet practice today. A little rain shouldn't hurt anybody, so I expect to see everyone out on the field 5 minutes after the bell ring. You're all dismissed."

I grabbed my book bag from off of the floor and exited the studying room along with Markus. Just as the defense finished their film section, Jordan and the rest of the offense exited they're studying room.

The three of us grouped up and began to make our way downstairs.

"Why I feel like we're about to play a championship game." I spoke as I threw my bookbag over my shoulder.

"Hell, we might as well be, this game is going to determine who runs this city. On top of that, it's our homecoming game and region game." Markus spoke with frustration expressed all over his face.

"Hey, when have y'all ever been frustrated over football. We just need to look at them as if they're just another team we face those past 4 weeks." Jordan seemed calm about the situation, and I could heavily agree with what he was saying.

Telegraph Ave: Oakland Highजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें