Chapter 29: Young

Yesterday, my mother came home around 9 or 10 pm and it made me wonder what took her so long. That's until she explained that she performed her first 12-hour operation.

I was startled and confused about why a surgery operation would last that long. But when she brought it up, I could excitement submerge all over her face and this surgery was something we never talked about.

The operation is named the Whipple Procedure, a major surgical operation often performed to remove cancerous tumors off the head of the pancreas. So in my eyes, this was a very big move for my mother and I am super proud.

I wanted us to celebrate, but she slept all morning and she wants to relax for the remainder of the evening. As for my friends and I, we're heading over to San Francisco, CA. They thought about renting jeeps again, but we're only going over there just to get something to eat.

They were telling me about this place named Deli Board. It's a lunch spot for sandwiches piled high with fillings like corned beef, pastrami, soups, and salads.

My mom and I are not really fans of beef and other stuff like we use to be. But hearing my friends talk about the food, I might just give in and try it. I'll bring my mom something back as well, but it's not about to be a sandwich—knowing she'll reject it in seconds.

She loves soups and salads, so I hope this place is tier 1 like they say it is.

I decided to drive my car today, just because my girl wanted to spend some more alone time with me. So now I'm just following behind the others, going across the Bay Bridge. I let the top down on the Lamborghini because the weather felt so nice out today. The temperature was probably in the mid-'80s and the sun shined on our skins as if it was a warm massage.

My girl's hair was blowing in the wind as she lifted her head towards the sky with her eyes closed. Allowing the sun to beam on her face.

She was so beautiful, with those black studs that matched her outfit.

"The weather feels so nice today." She spoke still facing the sky.

"That's why I love fall so much. Even in the hottest places like California, it's not too hot during the day time." I responded.

She opened her eyes. "And the clouds are more scattered out, and not in big plumps anymore." She pointed towards her right.

She used her left hand to grab my right, noticing her light pinkish fake nails drag across the surface of my hand. I looked down at her wrist, just to see her wearing my mother's bracelet, as the sunlight glared off of it's surface. Stacy's birthday is this month—the 21st of October. It hit me on the first day of the month, and I want to make sure I get her a very special gift.

Haven't asked her what she would like cause we're literally only two days into October, but I feel like right now would be a good time to ask.

"What would you like to have on your birthday?" I asked her.

She chuckled silently. "Already?"

"It's never too early to ask?" I glanced at her still keeping my eyes on the road.

"Well." She raised herself up in her seat. "I thought about asking for a dog?"

"A dog?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Yeah. I had a dream, about one of the most cutest dogs I've ever laid my eyes on. It had short fur, a small figure, and its primary color was creamy white, with brownish-gold patches."

"It was a she?" I asked.

"Yeah. She had this very distinctive personality that I couldn't put my finger on, but she was very chill. But sadly right when I was about to name her... I woke up out of my sleep." She chuckled looking down at her hand.