Chapter 32: Nights Fallen

The room fell silent, and we all stood like a deer in a headlights.

Candace threw down her Marker and jumped up to her feet balding up her fist, giving August the eye of the tiger. August looked down at Candace's fist with a frightened look and took two steps forward—slowly.

When August moved, Julio grabbed me by my wrist to pull me aside him. At this point, the situation was so awkward and uncomfortable I just wanted to flee the building at once. He kept his eyes on me taking in nervous breathes, and observing the other two that were in the room with me.

Why is he here... what does he want...

"Shouldn't you be a practice?" Candace spoke with authority and caused August to jump.

"Didn't you hear that thunder, we got out early. Practice was almost over anywa..." August was cut off.

"Why you had to come here!" Candace raised her voice taking two steps towards him. "You lost? Did you leave something?"

August feeling threatened by Candace's words, he put his hands up and backed up slowly. "Chill, I just wanted to talk."

"What you wanna talk about bro." Candace pounded her first in the palm of her hand. "As far as I know, there's nothing you can say. Cause you're a piece of shit and fucking liar."

"Look..." August tried to speak as calm as he could without being nervous. "I really don't want any..."

"Trouble?... you are trouble bro!" She said and began to hold onto her head. "Look man you need to leave."

"I ju..." August was cut off again.

"Get the fuck out!!!" She screamed and tried to lounge at him, but in a flash I caught her before she could do so.

I pulled her in towards me and held her face like a parent getting hold of a five year old. "Stop, It's okay." I spoke as calm as I could. "You don't have to defend me, I'll hear what he has to say."

"But..."

"Please." I begged her before things really got out of hand. "Trust me Candace."

She glanced over towards him and rolled her eyes back towards me. "Okay... but if he tries something I swear to god."

"Don't swear." I lastly told her before letting her go.

As much as I didn't want to hear what he had to say, I didn't want there to be a fight between these two.

Especially when it's after school.

Thankfully our art teacher wasn't here to see any of this, cause this probably would've ruined our chances of doing after school activity ever again. Well... it'll probably be a minute for her to trust us, but besides that I need to end the tension that's in this room.

I walked up to August, but I kept my distance.

I didn't allow any of his facial expressions allow me to feel pity for him. I didn't even make eye contact with him.

But I folded my arms and spoke. "Hello."

"Hey... I didn't mean to cause any commotion, but I came to get something off my chest." August put his hands in his pockets.

I let out a deep breathe feeling my heart accelerate from my nervousness. It's been 2 in half weeks since our break up, and besides those awkward moments in the hallway, I didn't want to see or talk to him again. I won't be doing any talking... I'll just let him say what he has too say and that'll be it.

This tension depressing tension will be gone.

I finally looked him straight in the eyes. "Speak."