Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Mixed Signals 

“Ayon, tapos na tayo. Just don’t forget to send me the RRLs later tonight, okay? I’ll wait until midnight.” I told my groupmates. 

Tumango sila isa-isa. We were grouped according to the courses that we will take in the future and we are all girls in this group. Lahat sila Nursing ang kukunin at ako lang ang natatanging BS Bio.

“No more questions? Suggestions?” I asked, staring at them one by one. It’s kind of weird because I am the only one who chose a different path to take yet they’ve decided to make me their leader. 

They all silently shook their head, feeling intimidated by my stares or simply because of me. 

I sigh. “Hala, h’wag kayong mahiyang magbigay ng suggestions o tumutol kapag may hindi kayo nagustuhan. Karapat niyo ‘yon. This is a group work, you guys have a say too.” I smiled at them to make them feel less intimidated. 

I’ve lead groupworks for countless times for the past years and I’ve realized that being a good leader accepting that you can’t do the job alone and you must always consider your groupmates before making a decision. 

You have to treat groupworks as if you're handling your own country and as the president, the voices and opinions of your people matter. It is their right to speak up and you cannot take that away from them. And as a responsible leader, you should know that every single voice of your people deserves to be heard. Don’t silence your people just because you can’t accept their criticism, do something to improve yourself to become an effective leader. 

You don’t just silence the cries of your people that deserve to be heard just because you are threatened.

One of my groupmates smiled at me. “Salamat, Mona. Pero okay na, gusto namin ‘yung idea mo… H’wag kang mag-alala kapag may naisip ako kung sakali ay sasabihin ko kaagad sa’yo.” She politely said. 

I just smiled and nodded my head. 

Me and my groupmates were seated here on the third column. Mula dito ay pasimple kong tiningnan ang mga kaibigan ko sa pinaka unang column. Magkakasama sina Colton, Ciel, at Cyprian sa iisang group dahil pare-parehong Aero ang kursong kukunin nila next school year. 

A soft grin formed across my face as I watched Ciel voicing out his ideas, even though I failed to hear him because of our distance, I am still proud to see him engaged in conversations about the things that he loves. 

Hindi nakatakas sa mga mata ko ang pagtitig ng babaeng katabi niya, her face suddenly lit up as she agreed to Ciel’s suggestion. She even giddily touched Ciel on the shoulder, expressing her excitement because of the brilliant idea that he just discussed among the group. 

Ciel gave her a side glance, grinning a little and the girl couldn’t just contain her excitement, nakipag-apir pa siya kay Ciel. Ciel accepted her high five and my eyes grew wide when the girl didn’t let go of his hand for about a few seconds. Tsansing ‘yun, ah! 

“Ang galing-galing ng boyfriend mo sa Physics.” 

Castro’s voice pulled me back in reality. I slowly tilted my head on the right side to look at her. 

“Huh?” My brows crimped a little.  

Her smile grew wider, showing her perfect strong yellowish teeth. I like it when she smiles like that. Full of confidence and glowing with self-love. 

“Si Ciel… Hindi ba kayo ni Ciel?” She asked. 

I suddenly felt something flurry around my stomach as she addressed me and Ciel being a couple.