Chapter 22

Chapter 22

18 divided by 4 

I never liked celebrating my birthdays. When I was on the 6th grade, my Mom, Yaya Alma and all the other maids prepared a lot of food for my 12th birthday because they knew that all my classmates would come. That’s what I thought, too

I thought they would come because I invited all of them, despite them bullying me, calling me names, I still wanted them to attend on my special day because I want to share all the amazing food that my Mom and our maids prepared, maybe in that way they would understand why I couldn’t stop eating… maybe they would understand why I am fat and would eventually stop bullying me… but unfortunately, none of them came.

I felt sad and disappointed that time. Since then on, I never celebrated my birthday hosting a party. Sometimes I celebrate it with my parents over dinner when they’re both here, sometimes it was just me and my Mom, sometimes it was me and my Dad, and sometimes it was me alone when they’re both not around.

Today’s January 26. It’s my 18th birthday.

I thought my 12th birthday was the most disappointing day ever but life really is full of surprises, huh? Yesterday, we didn’t get the justice that we wanted. Courtney kept on denying, saying that she never tell what we are all claiming that she told us. And now I got suspended in school for a week… Today’s my first day… and my birthday. And I can say that this day was more disappointing compared to my 12th birthday. 

My parents were both frustrated and they both wanted to file a case against Adam and Nika but I refused… I convinced them not to do it. Ayoko na. Nakakapagod lang. Alam ko naman kasi na hindi kami mananalo. Aside from the video and we, lacking of evidences to defend my case, parehong lawyer ang mga magulang ni Adam.

Ayaw ko na rin pang makaabala sa mga magulang ko. Nahihiya na ako. Just the fact that my Dad immediately booked a flight from Boston to here, leaving his work just to be for his daughter is making me feel guilty. Alam ko’ng pagod siya, alam kong parating kulang ang tulog niya tapos ganito pa ang madadatnan niya.

“Hey there, favorite niece.” I almost drop the cup of coffee that I was holding the moment I heard a familiar voice coming from the framedoor of the kitchen. 

“Tito Mael?” My brows slightly creased. What is Tito Samael doing here? It’s just 5 in the morning. 

He was wearing his blue scrubs and his hair’s a bit messy. A mess that looks good on him. 

He grinned, placing a paper bag on the marble table in front of me. I eyed the bag for a second and then I look back at him. “I just thought that I’d drop this by before I work my ass off at the hospital.” He said, giving me a faint grin. 

Even though he knows that I don’t like celebrating my birthday, he still never failed to drop by and give me a present. Mostly they were books, sometimes fiction, sometimes anatomy. 

“Happy birthday, favorite niece.” He said with a smile. 

I smiled a little. “Thank you, favorite uncle.” I teased, despite the heaviness that I have been feeling inside my chest. 

He frowned a little. “I’m the only uncle that you have.” He said. 

“Well, that means I have no choice… Coffee?” I offered after teasing him.

“Please. One that I can take with me to work.” He said, sitting on the counter chair. 

I placed my cup on the counter. “I have a tumbler here… Wait a second.” I said, turning my back at him to open the cupboard. Tito Samael is the youngest brother of my Dad, he’s an aspiring neurosurgeon and it’s his first year of internship somewhere in Clark.