Chapter Forty- Golden Eggs: The Fifth Contest

"Okay, guys." Announcer said, "Today's contest will be a solo effort."

"Okay." Leafy's voice called out from somewhere on Blocky's left.

Announcer snapped his fingers and a field of mud a square mile in size appeared. 

"Disgusting!" Flower gagged.

"I buried nineteen golden eggs in the mud and one pyrite egg. You have to go into the mud-"

"Oh, no!" Flower screeched.

"-dig out an egg- no tools will be provided but your abilities may be used-"

"No!" Flower cried.

"- and if you get a golden egg, you will be safe. If you get the pyrite egg, you're out. Once you turn in an egg, you can't dig up another one, so be careful in case your egg is the Fool's Gold. First person to find an egg will be rewarded 20 points, second will be rewarded 15 points, third 10 points, the one will the pyrite egg will get no points, and the rest of you will get either five or zero, depending if you find an egg in the given time limit-"

"There's a time limit?" Flower wailed, "I'm going to fail-"

"-of five hours." he finished.

"I refuse to go into the mud!" Flower screeched, "Where do you even get these ideas for challenges anyway? Why can't we just have a contest on who looks the most beautiful?"

"I don't know." Announcer replied, "These just... come up in our heads? We discuss them before the actual event and change things around. Originally, we were going to have you fish out the eggs with your mouth, so be grateful."

"That is so, like, disgusting!" Match shuddered, "I would never- the slimy feeling-"

Announcer clapped his hands, and a timer appeared next to him. It looked like a floating TV and 5:00 was displayed on it. "Three..."

Everyone lined up at the edge of the mud.

"Two... one... GO!"

Snowball jumped in immediately and started scooping up the mud in large quantities.

"Wait for me!" Blocky said as he jumped in. The mud was very slimy and even he was grateful that they didn't have to use their mouths to dig around the stuff.

"Hey, man." Eraser said, sitting next to him. The ooze went up to his waist as he dug around, "What's your plan?"

Blocky shrugged as Pen joined them. "We feel around for something hard and the dig it up?"

"Sure." Pen said. They shoved their hands into the mud at started feeling around.

Flower still didn't touch the mud yet. "I'm never... I can't..." she cried. "Ugh, yuck!"

"Stop complaining, Flower!" Match snapped, "And get in there!" she shoved Flower into the mud and Flower fell on her face.

"I'll crush you!" she yelled angrily, mud splattered all over her face, "Just you wait-"

Snowball threw a glob of mud at the back of her head.

"Quit whining!" he said, "You're giving me a headache!"

Pencil and Match still didn't get inside. They were hypocritical, it seemed. They forced Flower in but they still didn't go in themselves.

Blocky went back to work. The mud oozed past is fingers. It was so squishy and slimy... Pleh.

"Ooh! I think I found something!" Pen called out. Blocky and Eraser ran over to help dig. Mud splattered all over the place until they finally found their prize: Four golden eggs all clumped together.

"Score!" Eraser cheered. He grabbed one and tossed two to Pen and Blocky. "Let's live this one to Snowball!"

"Let's go!" Blocky ran over to Snowball, each step sending mud flying. "SB!"

"Huh?" Snowball turned to look at them. His white and gray clothes were now stained brown.

"Here- you can have this!" Eraser handed him the fourth golden egg. Then they ran over to Announcer.

"Wow, good job." he said, "Pen- you're first. Eraser is second, Blocky is third, and Snowball is fourth. None of you got the pyrite egg."

They all gave a sigh of relief. Announcer flicked is hand up and they were instantly teleported onto these gray sofas, all of their clothes clean, not a speck of mud on them. Remote controls appeared in their hands and a TV was set in front of them.

"Aw yeah!" Eraser cheered, "Let's play Minecraft!"

...

Leafy grumbled. She still didn't get a single golden egg yet. She glanced over at Match and Pencil, who were still playing Spongy Cake. Bubble was also playing with them as well, the three not doing any work.

"Leafy- come here!" Firey called. Leafy ran over, excited. Firey and Pin were digging frantically, and she joined them. After a while of digging, they saw one golden egg gleaming there.

"Firey- you should get it since you were the one who discovered it." Leafy said.

"Thanks!" Firey went over to Announcer and showed him the egg.

"You're seventh, Firey." he said, "Nice job." Firey got his egg after Pen, Eraser, Blocky, Snowball, Golf Ball, and Tennis Ball. He got teleported away.

"C'mon, Pin. Let's go find some more eggs."