Chapter 63

I smiled as Carl wrapped an arm around me and kissed my neck. "Morning corporal." I mumbled making him smile and breath out sharply. I leaned up as Carl turned to Frank and his friend Mikey. "You start bonin' dudes while I was away at school?" Carl asked and I turned to see then as Mikey says, "Occasionally, if the mood strikes." I chuckled as Carl plainly says, "I was talkin' to Frank."

Frank groaned and looked up at us, "Can't two grown men share a bed together without it being sexual?" Carl and I both then say, "No." I laid back down as his phone rings, "Go for Carl. Yeah, yeah, it's still available. All right. I'll send you the address."

"Someone want your gear?" I asked and he mmhmmed before kissing my lips, and jumped down. Carl helped me jump down, and I landed on the floor "Wash your own sh1t!" Debbie yelled coming in and throwing clothes on the floor. "You both owe me rent money." She yelled pointing at Frank and Mikey. "Oh, come on." Frank complained, "Thirty-seven bucks a night, plus five if you'll be showering."

"What about Carl?" Frank asks, "I'm selling my military gear - to get some cash." Frank then pointed to me, "Delaney?" I chuckled and said, "I don't live here, plus I babysit." Debbie then continued, "Electricity, gas, and water for the month is 48 bucks. Let me know if you'll be eating here. I have various meal plans available." She left and Mikey then says, "You don't need to pay rent, Frank. You're the patriarch of this family." Carl and I both then asks, "He is?" We scoffed as Debbie yells, "I'm keeping the coffee warm for ten minutes. Then I'm dumping it."

I got a cup of coffee before going outside to sit with Carl, and smoke a cigarette

I got a cup of coffee before going outside to sit with Carl, and smoke a cigarette. Isat in the chair next to him as I blew the smoke away from him. A kid came walking up, "You Carl?" I raised an eyebrow asCarl asks, "Who's asking?" I took a deep inhale as the kid says, "I answered an ad on Craigslist. Lookin' to buy some military gear." I blew the smoke our as Carl indicates to the bag between us, "It's all right here."

"Cool. You take 75?" The kid asked, "Ad said 100." I said and the kid sighed, "I figured I'd try." The kidsays but Carl picked the bag up, "Figured I'd walk away." The kid then scrambled his words, "Wait, no, no, no. Here, here. It's fine. Hundred bucks. It's all there. I promise. I'm starting ROTC in the fall. I gotta train this summer. Mm." Carl takes the money and hands it to me as I start to count it. "So what got you interested in becoming an officer? Went down to the recruiting offices, played them shoot-'em-up video games?" Carl asked and the kid chuckled, "Something like that. Can I have the bag?"

"What, the recruiters make you think you're gonna become this officer, big war hero, leading men into battle?" Carl asked, "I don't know. Maybe. I guess." The kid says, "They tell you that you could be one of the very few, make a difference, that you could do something your life, change your destiny? Hey, might even become a general one day." Carl started to ramble and I raised an eyebrow as I finish my cigarette. "My mom's gonna start worrying if I don't get home soon."

"You know that's a bunch of horseshit." Carl snaps, "They don't want guys like us to enlist as officers You know, guys from the South Side, guys who aren't very smart, kinda slow. They're just trying to fill their quota, gettin' us hooked on the thrill of the kill. Then they spit us out when we can't handle quantum physics or even read."

"I can read." The kid says, "And then they leave us on the side of the road with the taste of blood in our mouths, - and what do we do? - We enlist as grunts. And while they get all the medals and cushy postings up in Japan and Germany, where are we, poor boys from disadvantaged backgrounds like you and me? Somalia, Fallujah, that's where. And then when we finally get sent home, it's in a body bag. Not me. Not Carl Gallagher. No, thank you. - I ain't no one's human shield." Carl went on and on, "Can I just have my money back if you're not gonna sell me the sh1t?" The kid says and I sighed standing up. "Babe." I said and took the bag from him handing it to the kid. "Good luck. Don't kill yourself." I said snarky before he walked off with the bag. "Are you okay?" I ask him, "I'm fine."

--

I walked inside and smiled brightly as I spotted Lip. "Lipster!" I said and rushed over grabbing the baby. "What'd you name him?" I asked, "Freddie." he said and I awwed. "Freddie Mercury." I said and winked making him laugh, "I never understood your obsession with Queen." Lip says and I shrug. "Hey, can you uh, help me out today?" he asked and I smiled as I bounced him. "Sure, go get some sleep." I told him and Lip kisses my head. "Thank you." he told me and rushed up the stairs after kissing Freddie's head.

-
I left to get food, since Lip was still awake, and I walked into the Gallagher's and held another bag, and noticed Freddie on the floor. I walked over and picked him up before changing his diaper again. Veronica walked in and I smiled as I handed him off to her, after she put the bassinet box down.

I ran upstairs to get stuff around for Lip to relax and sleep before coming downstairs as Veronica left. "You." I said and Lip turned to me, "Go upstairs, sleep, and i'll handle Freddie." I told him and he smiled, "I owe you so much." I shrugged, "I also brought diapers and wipes and stuck em in your room. Go take a nap please." I said and he chuckled beforegiving me the baby and he left.

--

I pushed the stroller into Capt Bob's and sat at a table. "This place is Uncle Carl's trashy work" I cooed at my nephew. "Thought I heard you." Carl said and walked over kissing me. "Oh shit, is this Lip's kid?" he asked. "This is little Freddie Gallagher." I said and he turned to me. "i know." I said smiling. "Alright get back to work, I just wanted to come see you." I said and he kissed me again and again before leaving me.

--

I took my top shirt off revealing my crop top bralet, I bounced Freddie as he fell asleep against my skin. I walked around the house quietly as Carl, and Liam came home. I sat next to Carl on the couch and leaned on him as he played with my hair. When Lip woke up he had a mini freak out before coming downstairs finding me with Freddie. He sighed and began working on the bassinet.

--

Carl wrapped and arm tightly around me as I smiled and cudled into him. Carl kissed my head and I fell asleep.

When the sun rose, I left early to catch breakfast with Hailey at Patsy's

When the sun rose, I left early to catch breakfast with Hailey at Patsy's. "Hows the boy been treating you?" Hailey asked. "Like how we've always been Hails. Really good." I told her and she smiled. "So you know how Freddie and I broke up last year. I met someone" She says and I oooed. "Her name is Anne." She told me and I smiled. "I'm so happy for you Hailey.

"Oh here she is!" She said and a cute Latina came in with big hoop earrings, a red bandana in her curly black hair. "Annie this is my best friend Delaney." She said and I held my hand out. "Its so great to meet you." I said. "Annie works where Carl works." she says and I nod. "I'm the assistant manager." Anne tells me and I ahh. "That sounds cool actually. I'm not one to eat at Captain Bob's but the staff is really nice. The guys make me laugh, and help me tease my fiance." I tell her and she smiles.

"Wait, Carl is your fiance?" she asked and I nodded holding my hand up showing my ring. "For awhile now actually." I said shrugging. "thats so pretty." she says and examined it. "Thanks, it was his mothers," i said shrugging, "So, what sounds good for breakfast?"